1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Player upgrade advice

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dunky, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Dunky

Dunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK guys, here's the deal: I have a 2 year old Tosh 2109 DVD player which I'm pretty happy with (but when has being happy with kit ever stopped someone upgrading?!)

I can't help but think that technology must have moved on in the last 2 years and that I could get even crisper pictures and sound from a new player. My budget is an absolute max of £400 (I'll have to keep that quiet though because the Mrs will just say "why spend all that money when you can get one for a hundred quid?") My main concerns are best possible picture and sound but I'd want multi-region and RGB loopthrough would be a big bonus.

So, my questions are:

Will I notice a huge difference over my trusty old Tosh?
    What do you recommend?

Cheers

Duncan

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a panasonic 350 which i was very pleased with picture wise, the reason i upgraded was, things do come on in leaps and bounds.
    What i wanted was multiregion, a player capable of DTS and very good picture, at that time the pioneer 636 was like gold dust because of the very good feedback it was recieiving, after weeks of hunting i finally located one. This is a cracking player and would recommend a pioneer, this has been replaced by the 646 now and can be found at under £300.

Pioneer 646

bob

3. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had an older Tosh 3017 and upgraded to the Pioneer 545 which has a scart loopthrough. You can pick these up for £250-270.

I've noticed a definite improvement in picture and sound and I am delighted with my choice.

A word of warning, you might want to check another thread about a couple of forum members experiencing problems with the scart loopthrough...

Cheers

4. Dunky

Dunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys. There seems to be a bit of a Pioneer theme emerging here!

Duncan