1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD player to replace HTPC advice req'd

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Underscore, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, let's start with a bit of history. 18 months ago I bought my Z1 and very quickly realised the limitations of an interlaced player on a reasonable sized screen. So I bought one of the old Limit P/S players, only to suffer ghosting, followed by one of the early Philips 963SA players and suffered three problems:
    • A faint yellow bar down the left hand side of the screen
    • The angle icon permenantly displayed during multi-angle titles (hardly a big deal though)
    • Variable lip-sync when using progressive output
    My dealer replaced it to see if it was a dodgy model, but the replacement showed the same symptoms. I then made the mistake of phoning Philips' technical support only to find out that they are the most unhelpful bunch of... people on the planet. The player was returned for a refund and I built an HTPC for DVD playback and TV pausing/recording.

Anyway, 12 months or so after the end of the saga, the Pace Twin is under £200 and there seems to be a selection of reasonably priced PAL P/S players so I'm thinking to going back to a set-top solution. However, I have two concerns. Firstly, I'm aware that going back to a set-top DVD player will result in lower absolute image quality, but I want to ensure that whatever I buy does a good job at deinterlacing - like the Philips, for all its other flaws, did. Secondly, I'm concerned about the lip-sync issues that can be caused by putting a deinterlacer after the audio and video streams have been synchronised, since I seem to be quite sensitive to this.

So to the questions:

I'm aware that Arcam have an audio delay for progressive mode on some of their players to rectify the lip-sync problem - but they are too much money for me plus the Zorran chipset suffers from the CUE, I believe. Do any other, more reasonably priced (say £250-400), players have an audio delay function?

Looking around, the Sony 930 seems a good value and well liked player. However, I haven't been able to determine what type or make of deinterlacer it uses; does anyone know? Also, does it suffer from the CUE?

Finally, what other players should I be investigating and demoing?

Sorry for the long post but thanks in advance for your help...

_

[EDIT: Any players that support or can be hacked to give 720p and/or 1080i output from a DVD, like the Philips now can, would also be of interest.]