1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Player to Replace CD Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by warrj, Nov 8, 2004.

1. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm thinking of ditching multi-channel AV and merging my AV and Hi-Fi systems into one stereo-only system. Ideally I'd like to replace my Arcam CD23 CD player and Pioneer 656 DVD player with a DVD player which is at least as good at two-channel stereo as the Arcam - thus keeping both life and the box count to a minimum. So, are there are DVD players which meet the following criteria?

1. Red-book audio at least as good as an Arcam CD23
    2. Can decode and do a 2.1 channel downmix of Dolby Digital and DTS
    3. HDMI or DVI output
    4. Audio delay available

I'm not bothered whether it can play hi-res audio formats or not (cos I haven't bought an SACD or DVD-A disc in the last 18 months).

I'm also not convinced by the DVD Player + DAC option as I'm looking for a setup which is simple enough for my wife to use easily and safely (this is a reflection of the ludicrous complexity and user-hostility of hi-fi/AV kit rather than her intelligence) and AIUI DACs can cause damage to downstream components if fed DTS data.

Any help or advice gratefully received,

Jules.

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Be prepared to spend a couple of thousand + if you want the same audio quality as you are currently used to. IMHO Only players i've found that give anywhere near half decent CD playback are Linn Unidisk and TAG Mclaren DV32R. The dacs in DVD players just don't cut it. Hence the DAC option.

3. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Jules - A bit of a tricky one, as the CD23 is to this day a standard setter on pure CD replay! However the new DV29 is the best sounding DVD player we have ever built and it is definitely comparable with the CD23. It also has HDCD decoding and supports HDMI 1.1, including both interlaced and progressive video and 6 channel hi-res audio. It can output a two channel downmix of DD and DTS (we just checked the latter to make sure) and has programmable audio delay.

So it might just fit the bill! In any case why not audition the DV29 and let us know what you think?

John Dawson (Arcam)

4. Brindek

Brindek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I recently auditioned the DV79 with a serious intention to buy as an all-in-one solution. I listened to the CD73 and CD93 for comparison as audio is a very important factor for me.

I listened to the DV79 followed by the CD73 and the CD73 blew me away. I was all of a sudden really enjoying the music and looking forward to the next track.

To be honest I was dissappointed that I felt this way as I had hoped that the DV79 would be the "answer" as I need to get a new DVD player as my old one is not very good. To be doubly sure I took the CD73 and DV79 home for the weekend and played them one after the other to my wife without her knowing which was which. She listened to a whole track on the DV79 then to the same track on my existing player. Then i put on the CD73 and within 20 seconds she said "THAT ONE". :clap:

So I have bought the CD73 which I am incredibly pleased with, but still need to sort out my DVD player and can't really justify keeping the DV79 as well!!! :nono:

5. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Unidisk half decent CD player .... you really must be kidding! Thre is hardly anything better on this rotten planet! And TAG top loader is only transport anyway.
    You obviously have too many top gear :) to say somthing like that!

6. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Miron,
    Not too much top gear but a good ear for music! I can suggest an awful lot that is better than the Linn Unidisk for CD Playback and for a lot less money! As an all round player It's awesome, but Red book CD's? It's good but not that good! Even Linn will tell you that.
    A £100 DVD player and Chord DAC 64 would give the unidisk a damn good run for it's money for less than half the price. Just trying to make the point that in order to get good CD playback comparable to Warrj's CD player he'll need to spend a lot of money unless he goes for the DAC route.