1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Player to partner Z2

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Peter G, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Peter G

Peter G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope somebody can advise me; I have a Z2 on order from Ivojo, but I need some help choosing a DVD player for it.

Based on the information I have read on this forum, I gather that ideally I want a player that I can connect to the PJ via DVI, for the best picture quality. However, I'd also like to play DVD-A and SACD, to make best use of my multi-speaker setup.

As far as I can tell, there isn't a player available that can do all that yet - so until somebody releases one I'm considering the following alternatives:

1. Toshiba SD 330.

Pros: Cheap.
    Cons: No progressive scan, DVD-A or SACD.

2. Toshiba SD 530.

Pros: NTSC and PAL progressive.
    Cons: No DVD-A or SACD.

3. Samsung DVD-HD935

Pros: DVI connection
    Cons: No DVD-A or SACD. Difficult to find stock?

4. A good PAL progressive player with DVD-A and SACD (Suggestions?)

I'm assuming that whichever I choose I would probably want to upgrade within a year or so - although if the difference between component and DVI isn't that great option 4 does everything else that I want.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

2. Wilster

Wilster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    5. Build yourself an HTPC.

More expensive, more fiddly, more rewarding results from what I understand. Great scaling and deinterlacing, DVI out, control over the picture output and plays every fansub anime episode I have :) I have my HTPC (been playing around with it for a few months), but am also waiting on my Z2 as well.

3. Woz!

Woz!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    But I don't think this fulfills the DVD-A or SACD requirements, sadly.

It's the route I'm going to go when I've got some money though.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dont think all the requirements can actually be filled. None of the dvi players (samsung/bravo/momitsu/marantz?) are multiformat for everqthing. The best you can really do is accept no dvi or no 96+kHz sound.

ad

5. The Hemulen

The Hemulen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think the Pioneer DV-668AVi will do all you ask for at about £530. The DV-868Vi (£800) will add a built in scaler so you can (or should) be able to output in the Z2 native res.
    I've got a Denon 2900 at the mo but am considering going to the DV-868 when I hear how well the 1:1 mapping goes.

6. The Hemulen

The Hemulen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well i take that back then...... interesting though that neither of those players shows the hdmi connection..... I yet want to hear someone give a good comparison of a player with dvi capabilities with a pc....... is that because the pc guys are afraid that their machines wont be so far out in front anymore?

ad

8. Mr Sparkle

Mr Sparkle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Pioneer DV-757 will also do the job.

Mr Sparkle.

9. The Hemulen

The Hemulen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Does it have DVI video output? Thought it was only iLink for the audio? :confused:

10. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moved to DVD Player forum.

11. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  12. Peter G

Peter G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a reason why Panther seem to be the only place that sells the Samsung (are these units grey imports perhaps?)

Is the HD935 even available officially in the UK yet?

I've read some fairly discouraging things about Panthers customer service so I'm a bit reluctant to get involved.

13. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My 935 arrived from Panther ok and it's stil working 3 weeks later !, so all ok so far.

Regards,

Chris

14. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    chris i. why have two dvd players, is the dvi output on the samsung really worth the extra money it take to buy two

15. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    clancol,

Well you may think I'm mad but here is my reasoning: -

I was wanting to go for a plasma but the quality of the pictures (Hitachi, Pioneer Fujitsu etc etc) is nowhere near the quality of the best CRT's and the value for money reasoning is none existent in comparison to a crt tv. Yes you can get a bigger screen size with a plasma and yes they are nice and thin (not of concern to me), but the pictures are very poor with either analogue / digital (NTL for me) and ok / good with DVD. With a crt tv you get reasonable with analogue, very good with digital and excellent with DVD. I personally think plasmas are selling more on their "fashion" statement than picture quality / performance at the moment (that will upset a few people).

Having auditioned a few screens and read many German, USA and English forums I decided to go for a high quality crt tv and get a projector. I can have excellent quality pictures for day to day viewing and with a projector you get the WOW factor (size of screen) on a movie / sports night etc.

So I've a Z2 on order and I am planning to upgrade my Tosh 36" original pic frame TV to the Panasonic 36PD30.

The Denon 2200 was going to feed PAL + NTSC progressive signals to both my tv and Z2 via component.

Having read about DVI etc etc I though stuff it I'll have a go. So got a Samsung HD935 a 10m Lindy DVI lead and waiting to see how good 720p / 1080i is through the Z2. If it's no good or no better than the Denon on component, it will shortly be on ebay..

If the 935 / DVI option is works then the Denon will then just do DVD to the TV and run as a SACD and DVD-A player.

The bottom line is: Denon DVD2200 (multiregion) = £520.00, Panasonic 36PD30 £1400.00, Samsung HD935 (multi hack) £166.00, Sanyo Z2 £1183.00, DRH Screen £158.00, cables etc £300 = circa £3727.00 for an excellent 36” picture and very good 100” projected picture.

£3700 will only get you a 42” plasma with what I consider reasonable picture.

Do you think I’m mad ?

Regards,

Chris L.