1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Player to Partner TX32PD50

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tb4168, Nov 2, 2004.

1. tb4168

tb4168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I found this forum by accident and am now looking almost all the time. Anyway, after looking at plasmas and LCDs, I am considering buying a Panasonic TX32PD50 and need some advise on what DVD player to go with it. I have no room for a plasma and I don't believe LCDs are quite there yet. After doing some research I have decided the Panasonic is #1 choice at the moment. I have read the threads ref. the PD30 and I understand the PD50 is an improvement.

I do not intend to buy AV amp and speaker package at the moment, maybe in a couple of years when I move. I would probably upgrade to plasma or LCD (or whatever is latest and greatest) at the same time.

DVD players I have 'looked at' include Arcam dv78, Denon 2200/2910, Pioneer 470/575/668/757. I have sampled the Arcam and was blown away but it is obviously OTT for my proposed setup. The Denon 2200 is nowhere to be found and the 2910 is over my budget, which is £400 maximum. I have seen the Pioneer 757 for £399 so it is probably #1 choice at the moment.

Withut the AV amp etc, would I be wasting my money on the 757 or would I be better off with the 470 or 575 until I am in a position where I can upgrade to plasma and AV amp etc? I am not worried about DVD-A or SACD. I just want hassle-free, good PQ, good build quality DVD player.

Regards

2. tb4168

tb4168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please anyone help. I've been furiously reading everything on the Pioneers, Denons etc and am leaning toward Pioneer. Maybe a case of information overload but could do with some good advise.

Thanks

3. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Hi,

Are you planning to play region 1 DVD's on the Panasonic TV ?

If so I'd be very wary about buying a Pioneer DVD player - lots of us have had problems with dark horizontal banding using Pioneer DVD players on Panasonic TVs.

I can't speak for the Denon's and Arcam's that you mention as I've never owned one - try doing a search on the model numbers and see what kind of comments you find.

I've just bought a Sony NS930 to replace a Pioneer 565, and I'm impressed with that so far, and its in your price range.

Ian.

4. tb4168

tb4168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian, thanks for the 'heads up'. I am not planning to play R1 but was going to go for the multi-region player. I've had quick scan through the threads and my understanding is that it is a problem primarily with Panasonic TVs when going through RGB, correct? Is it more prevailant when hooked up to a Pioneer? Other makes of DVD player and gamecubes were mentioned in the numerous threads.

Using Component seems to cure the problem. I don't have Sky or cable so I don't think I would be going into the TV with any SCART (RGB) leads except for the Video which probably wouldn't get used much.

Could it be that the problem has been corrected with the PD50? At least one person reports that the reported problems with the PD30 are not evident on his TV.

Difficult to know what to do. Denons appear to have their own set of problems. Arcam too expensive. Maybe Sony is the way to go, and given that my current set up is a 14" portable and 10 year old Sony video recorder anything will be an improvement.

Regards

Tim

5. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Hi,

Yes, it is only apparent on RGB SCART.
    I got round it by connecting via S-Video, but wasn't overly impressed with the picture quality, so used it as an excuse to buy a shiny new DVD player ! :D

Other than that I couldn't really fault either of the Pioneer players I've had, and I've got friends and family who are impressed with them as well.

Choices, choices :laugh:

Ian.

6. tb4168

tb4168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian, there was a thread about the Sony (comparing it to a Denon 2200) and some discussion about layer change. I am not familiar with this phenomenom, is it a problem on CRTs?

Tim

7. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Pause for layer change is restricted to DVD players only (the cause is nothing to do with displays or amps), its when the DVD player switches from one layer on the DVD to the next. Some players, like the Denons, have a large buffer so the pause for the layer change is very very small. For some people its an issue, for others, including me, its not an issue.

I've had no problems running my Denon 3910 on my panny 36PD30 via component, picture quality is excellent.

8. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Tim,

Layer Change is when your DVD player switches from playing the data stored on one layer of a DVD to the other layer. (all modern DVDs are dual layer and the content of the DVD is spread across both layers).

The Denon DVD players have a memory buffer that reads ahead, and so there is no pause at all when the layer change happens.

Every other make of player will trigger a slight pause when this happens - some are more noticeable than others.

Being honest, the layer change on the Sony is slightly more noticeable than on the Pioneer, but as we're talking about less than 1 second, I think I can live with it :)

Ian.

9. tb4168

tb4168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Narrowed my choice down to Pioneer 757Ai and Sony NS930. Still looking for that elusive silver Denon 2200 for below £400 though. Denon 2910 just a little too expensive and reading some of the threads on Denons, I'm a little bit wary. Pioneer 757Ai at top of my budget but as I'm going probably going for a Panasonic CRT, again wary about some of the problems reported. For my proposed set up I think now that the Sony is the way to go and will be more than adequate. How about the NS955, anybody got one? I have seen one for £219.

Regards

10. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Have you been able to look at the Denon 1910, or Marantz DV4500 if DVD-A and SACD is not critical, or DV6500 and Yamaha S1500 otherwise, couple of HK models as well? There's a big range to choose from at this price point.

And a quick check of ebay reveals an Arcam DV88 currently at GBP260 with 2 hrs to go, a Denon DV2900 with "buy it now" price of GBP 380 (from Hong Kong), a Denon 3800 at 300 with about a day to go, Denon 2200 at 275 from HK, Denon 2800 with 6 days currently at 200, another 2900 at 420 (not from HK), a Pioneer with 6 hrs left at 70, a 757 for 370 and so on... lots of used ones to whet the tast buds....

11. tb4168

tb4168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Antpink, thanks for the options.

Am a bit wary of Denons, if I was going to get one I'd go for the 2200, not sure the 'lower' spec machines have the large memory/buffer. The one in HK is black, not my cup of tea. 2900 too big and as I said, am a bit wary due to the regular posts on this forum highlighting problems with them.

Have looked at Marantz but do not know much about them.

I believe the Yamaha was reviewed recently and was disappointing.

Not sure I like the look of the HKs. Hifi shop in Kingston did recommend one however.

Pioneer tempting but am now thinking even at £370 to £400, it may be overkill for my proposed set up.

Nothing much bad said about Sonys either on this forum or elsewhere and it looks well built, has PAL/NTSC, progressive scan, component out, reasonably priced etc. I just need to know about PQ before I finally make up my mind. I'm in danger of going round in circles but obviously don't want to make a bad choice. Have a Sony VHS recorder, 10 years old and still going strong.

Thanks again.