1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD player to match Panasonic Viera Plasma?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by rich_b, Oct 4, 2004.

1. rich_b

rich_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a 37" Panasonic Viera plasma screen which is fantastic but for the DVD I currently have a 4 year old Pioneer XV-S100DV which came as an all-in-one system with the speakers and sub. It only has S-Video or composite output... :( It doesn't have progressive scan or q-link either. I assume I'll get better PQ if I get a better DVD and plug that into the component on the plasma.

I haven't looked into DVD players for 4 years and have no idea what to look at. I don't really want to spend too much. As I'm happy with the sound could I get one that matches my existing speakers and sub? (that would need to have the built in amp right???) Or do I have to splash out mega bucks and get a whole new system? Any advice welcome!

2. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Denon DVD-2900 seems to be very well rated from what I have read. Also the Arcam DV78. Pioneer DV-575A at the lower end of the spectrum.

3. rich_b

rich_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Denon costs more for the player alone than my original all-in-one surround system did 4 years ago! Would I notice the difference over my current S-video DVD player? (or is that a daft newbie question? ;) )

Would I have to get new speakers or could I use my existing ones? Or is that a question you can't answer without knowing what the output of my existing speakers are - I remember reading some time ago that speakers need to be be 'matched' to the amp or is that wrong?

Apologies for so many questions and thanks for the advice.

4. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm afraid I might get out of my depth pretty quickly here, rich_b, as I am a newbie as well. I have been reading these forums for a while as I am in the market for a plasma and a new DVD player to go with it.

I got on a thread the other day about progressive scan dvd players, and MAW, one of the AV Gods around here, told me:

"It's a very good idea to match your plasma with the best DVD you can afford, likewise don't skimp on cables or electronics like JS converters. A Pio 575 is about a minimum I'd consider for a plasma, I have clients who insist on less, and I ask them who the expert is, and point out I make no more on better DVD players, or at any rate not enough to warrant an argument."

So, component is definitely the way to go for connection to your Viera. Use decent cables and get the best prog scan player you can afford. Again, from MAW on the same thread, re. prog scan:

"Yes, prog scan is a good thing. All progressive plasmas, like the pW6 have built in deinterlacers, ie. a chipset to make the signal progressive. Now if you go and buy a £79 cyberhome DVD player with progressive scan, it also has a deinterlacer built in. Sending progressive to the plasma automatically bypasses the internal deinterlacing. Now where do you think the best deinterlacer is to be found? In your £79 DVD or in you £2.5k plasma display? You can have 3 guesses if you like, yes! So if you want a progressive scan DVD go find a Denon 2900 or something, they're being knocked out at £575 or so due to new model. Then you'll see some serious improvements."

The players that I mentioned are player only, ie. you will need to sort out audio separately via an external receiver. I'm afraid I can't help with recommendations re. player with all the audio built in. Any of you experts out there?

Toby