1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Player to Match Hitachi 42PD3000

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by marshy.dave, Dec 30, 2003.

1. marshy.dave

marshy.dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to upgrade my DVD player. I currently have an ageing Panasonic DVD A350 which doesn't have component, prog scan or DTS etc..

Can anyone recommend a good player. Budget is £500.

Been looking at the Denon 2200, Pioneer 668. Are these machines worth the money or are the likes of the Yamaha 540 as good for £100???

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    No the the yamaha is not as good. The 2200 is a very good player IMHO better than the 668. I had both players at home for a while before purchase, & the Denon was noticably better than my old 656 whereas The 668 only gave marginally better performance.

I use the 2200 in progressive mode as it seems to me to give better performance, but due to the ALIS technology there isn't a massive difference.

DVD-A & SACD work well, I don't use it for CD

3. marshy.dave

marshy.dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As you dont see much difference with the 2200 in progressive mode I wonder how the 1400 performs, seems to have similar specs but without progressive scan.

Anyone here got a 1400 Denon.

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    The 42PD3000 is better off being fed an interlaced signal so don't bother getting a progressive scan DVD player as the results will be worse than feeding it interlaced. Just get the best non progressive player you can for the money.

Cheers,
    Andy.

5. marshy.dave

marshy.dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Andy,

Thats what I was thinking but its so hard picking the right DVD player.

The Pioneer 656 (I know its old) got rave reviews and richer sounds are selling them off for £150, albeit graded stock, is it worth it????