DVd player to go with my Hitachi 42PD5200

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by james_19742000, Sep 20, 2005.

1. james_19742000

james_19742000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi all,

I am looking at a newer DVD for my system, I recently bought the PD5200 plasma screen and very happy with it, but I have an old Sony DVD surround sound system, but feel that a newer DVD player might be th way to go, I dont have a large budget, maybe upto £200, also my plasma has DVI input so would I buy a HDMI player and buy a lead from HDMI to DVI and have it coming through that??

Also, whay about all this scaling business?? Woud I use the new DVD in between the Sky and plasma??

Anyone advise of the best set up?

Woudl I still be able to use my Sony DVD suround system in the loop at all to provide the surround sound??

All confusing I know, but any recommendations and ideas are gratefully received, remember I am not a techy so nice simple insttructions would help.

Many thanks in advance.

James

2. mrbcool

mrbcool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems the Samsung 950 is a good player, plays everything and has HDMI, should look good on your screen. Richersounds do them for £130.

3. matrixsc

matrixsc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    From what people are saying around here it isn't that good of a player (Samsung 950)

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    IMHO I would not advise anyone to buy a Samsung DVD player, they simply don't seem to "cut the mustard" despite the glowing reviews in the HiFi press.

I'd try the Oppo (which has a DVI anyway hence no conversion to HDMI necessary) or the "good old" Pioneer 575 which is possibly the bargain DVD player of the moment for £99, albeit you'll have to stick to component (which is not such a bad thing TBH) ...PJ :)

5. Neil69

Neil69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi, I've got a modded Pioneer 737 connected to my 42PD5200 via componant. Superbit DVD's look fantastic. They look almost HiDef.
    Ta, Neil.
    :thumbsup: :smashin: :D

6. TankTopLover

TankTopLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    i have seen superbit dvd saround and always wondered what they were? Are they higher quality than modern dvd transfers or is it all a scam?

7. bluecupra

bluecupra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The bitrate of the audio is better then the normal DVD. Also the image is sharper due to more imagelines (more crisp)

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    I thought they used more of the available storage on the disc for video dispensing with some of the extras to make space. That said, it's still only standard def hence there are no more lines than a standard DVD AFAIK...PJ :)

9. Neil69

Neil69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    :) Hi. Yes Superbit DVD's are still SD, the colours are more vivid. Two thirds of the storage space is for picture & the bit rate is alot higher, the space left on the disc is for sound, which is both DD5.1 & DTS. Also, for some strange reason, the Macrovision is disengaged which means that you can record them onto video tape, if you feel the desire to do so. Look at www.superbitdvd.com for a list of R1's, or www.play.com for a list of R2's.
    ta, Neil
    :D :rotfl: :thumbsup:

10. james_19742000

james_19742000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    If I buy a new DVD player whether DVI to DVI or HDMI to DVI, can I loop the Sky through the DVD to play on the DVI input on the TV?? Does anyone know that or know which DVD I would need to have for that please?? Also, how would I get 5.1 sound from my current speakers, could I wire the DVD to my Sony DVd surround system and run the sound through that with red/white jack/phono plug things or would I need to buy a new speaker set and wire them directly into the new DVD??

Can anyone help??

Thanks James