1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD player to get the best out of my Articos

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Wilbur, May 20, 2002.

1. Wilbur

Wilbur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I'm awaiting arrival of my Loewe Articos later this week and (having spent 2 months getting confused by this site over which telly to go for!) need to decide on a DVD player.

Can I only take advantage of progressive scan output if I upgrade with a VGA board and line-doubler? I'm not so bothered about a progressive scan image for broadcast material so don't rally want to go to all this expense if it's unecessary and i can hook up a progressive scan DVD player directly.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Wilbur

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Several good players around.

I would suggest that it depends on whether you wish to use the player for both hi-fi and AV, or just AV.

My suggestion would be something like the Arcam DV88 (budget depending) or a Harmon Kardon, both good with music and film.

Prog Scan is a bit more tricky, as far as i am aware current chassis's on the Loewe will accept prog scan on the VGA board.

But the new chassis's, which start shipping in approx 3-6 months will be able to accept prog scan on the scart socket (so i am told) in both NTSC and PAL.

3. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To use external progressive scan you always need the VGA module and VGA output from the external device, standard with the Iscan , need a converter for DVD players...

I am using the component video output (SCART) from the Arcam FMJ DV27, using Loewe´s internal Proscan, (I have 2400 chassis on my Vitros), and the image is very good from DVDs...

4. Wilbur

Wilbur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, and thanks for getting back so quickly...

At this stage I don't think I'm going to take the VGA card and line doubling option. But it sounds like I can still benefit from using a DVD player with component video outputs due to the 2500 chassis having a component video input (correct?). What is the internal Proscan feature you mention Lowrider and how do I set this up?

Given that this system is entirely for movies only, would you revise your recommendations any further? It would be great if you could recommend 3 players: sub-£500, £501-£1000 and £1001+

Cheers!!!

5. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only have experience with Loewe Xemix, Arcam DV88 and FMJ27, they are all fine, but the FMJ has the best image and sound by far...

Proscan is progressive scan done by the TV, not as good as external, Philips chip, but still better than none...