1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Player To Feed Sanyo PLV-Z2 & Panasonic TX-36PD30

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by chris l., Oct 30, 2003.

1. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What dvd player would you recommend for feeding a Sanyo PLV-Z2 projector and Panasonic TX-36PD30 tv.

I have thought of two options:

1. Denon 2200 via component to both (to make use of progressive on both tv and projector). Need to find a component switcher though. Benefit of universal player also.

2. Samsung DVD-HD935 with DVI to Sanyo PLV-Z2 and component to Panasonic TX-36PD30 (to make us DVI feed which I understand is the best there is at the moment, save on component switcher, cost of extra to get Denon DVD2200, only 1 short component cable and cheap DVI 10m cable to buy. Use existing Marantz CD 6000 K1 for cd playback. Compromise on SACD facility.

Any opinions / other options I could consider.

My priority is the best picture for both the projector and tv.

Thanks in advance.

Chris L.

2. groovedigger

groovedigger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry to butt in without a response to your query Chris, but i was wondering if you could share your thoughts on the Z2 and how it compares with any previous hardware you've owned or current hot pjs out there for those of us who are considering buying one?

I am yet to read any reviews anywhere, and am still trying to dem one near Brighton.

Thanks in advance

3. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I doubt Chris has his Z2 yet. I suspect he's in the queue with the rest.

I'd say watch the forums, there will be lots of Z2 reviews and talk as soon as they arrive.

To Chris's question, the Samsung DVD player is an excellent way to go (or a V880 but you can't get them in the UK). In 720p mode it should 1:1 pixel map with your new PJ.

Cheers
    Marc

4. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    groovediger

I'm one of the many ivojo customers awaiting their Z2.

I have also gone ahead and ordered a dvd2200 from avland and have a Samsung hd935 and 7.5m DVI-D lead in the house and ready to roll and I will be more than happy to give you feedback on the z2 when it lands.

For info: a German site has just got one of the first ones in Europe on test as we speak and the results should be on their site shortly see:
    http://translate.google.com/transla...iew&start=10&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sa=N

Likewise in the US on http://www.avsforum.com/ its getting good feedback on the first units that have being received.

Its my first projector having seen the Sim2 Domino 20 demo'd at the Manchester hifi show the other weekend and thinking thats the way to go.

Regards,

Chris L.

5. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Chris,

Obviously I've not seen what a Z2 can do, but I can tell you in my limited experience that DVI (or even VGA) have looked way better than component.

No extensive testing, but when using the same sources (V880 and Samsung 935 as they both do both) it wins by a fair margin.

Cheers
    Marc

6. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    uczmeg

I must admit I was always favouring the Denon DVD2200 (on the back of the praise the near identical dvd2900 has had) to feed the Z2 with PAL / NTSC progressive, but as the Samsung HD935 was only £166 del to go the dVI route I thought I would give it a try also.

Time will tell !

Chris L.

7. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    As you are getting both I'd be very interested to hear your findings.

Cheers
    Marc

8. groovedigger

groovedigger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the links Chris

I have two questions, the second of which will probably extend this thread a bit!

Firstly do you get progressive scan with DVI? Maybe uczmeg can help me with this. I have seen fantastic demos of this at the What Hifi Bristol show and know it's the way I wanna go.

Secondly would you say that for someone like myself with max £2k to spend that either the Sanyo PLV Z2 LCD would be the best contender against the Sharp XV-Z91E DLP or is this too much like comparing oranges with lemons?

I intend to demo both at Nexnix in Horsham btw.

Last thing... are the ratings here worth treating as gospel? http://www.projectorcentral.com/recommended-home-theater-projectors.htm

9. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    groovedigger,

Progressive scan signals can go via component or DVI.

However my Samsung HD935 will only do the higher 720p over DVI.

Component as far as I understand it will only run 576p (PAL disc) and 480p (NTSC dics) signals. But I'm not sure if this is the same limitation on all players or it's Samsung HD935 specific thing.

I have yet to own a projector, Z2 on its way any day. I’ve only seen the Sim2 Domino 20 demo'd at the Manchester hifi show the other weekend to compare it against. I've kind of gone with the flow on the Z2 following reading around in Europe, UK and USA.

Projector central seems to be referred to by quite a few and especially so in the USA (obviously).

Chris L.

10. groovedigger

groovedigger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Much apprecaited Chris. I look forward to hearing your views on the V2.

11. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The Samsung will do more than 720p over DVI, but I like Chris only get output at 720p.

I think it depends if you equipment can sync with the other signals. I know the person who I got it off certainly got 480p and 576p from it.

The V880 seems even more flexible in this respect though. The latest firmware I believe will let you put in custom settings.

Cheers
    Marc

12. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just to clarify my previous post in regard to DVI / progressive scan signals, what I meant to say was that PAL / NTSC progressive scan signals can go via DVI .

In the case of the higher 720p format, this is only available by DVI on the Samsung HD935

The Samsung will output by DVI -
    576p 720p 1080i from a PAL Disc, the latter two being converted to 60 hz NTSC format
    480p 720p 1080i from a NTSC Disc.

Regards,

Chris L.

13. Off The Fence

Off The Fence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Does this mean you get stuttering at 720p & 576p for PAL disks due to the 50-60hz conversion?

:confused:

14. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    RE Stuttering

Iv'e read posts in the USA with some people saying they can / can't see it and others saying they can on some disks (PAL) but not others.

Regards.

Chris L.

15. Off The Fence

Off The Fence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hmm...That does worry me a little.

I think I'd rather put up with the Z2's internal scaler up-converting from 576 to 720 lines than have to worry about stuttering.

It'd be like going back to 3:2 pulldown on region 1 DVDs
    (can't stand those jerky pans :().

Having had a look at the Z2 manual I downloaded, it doesn't appear to support 720p at 50hz (at least it's not listed in the supported computer resolutions), so I think it would be a dead end even if I could get a 50hz signal to it (somehow)?

:confused:

Anyway, from the German review I read this morning, the scaler in the Z2 does a pretty good job with 576p. Also means I don't have to take the '10m DVI cable run challenge' :p (back to good old component!)...

16. Off The Fence

Off The Fence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Also just noticed a post over on avsforums which said when using a Z2 via DVI from a DVD player (rather than a HTPC), black from a DVD (ie a value 16.) wasn't mapping to black on the panels (ie. a value of 0).

This was tested by using a 2:35 anamorphic dvd (ie. black bars top & bottom), displayed in pillarbox mode (to get 'true' panel black bars on the left & right).

On DVI (480p), the (PJ generated) black bars to the sides were darker than the black bars above and below (from the disk). :eek:

This was not the case for component. :D

Don't know if any DVD players with DVI out allow you to play around with their DVI settings, but it might be something for people planning to go this route to consider...

Personally, I reckon I'll steer clear :smoke:

BTW, anyone know if the Yamaha DVDS540 is any good via progressive component?

Cheap as chips & seems to do pretty much everything (except DVI :p )...