Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

dvd player to connect to sp 4805

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by p5yco, Jul 27, 2005.

1. p5yco

p5yco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi, could some of you guys point me in the right direction to find the best performing (picture/sound), dvd player £170 and under. it will be connected to a screenplay 4805 via either hdmi or component - whichever is the best combo. i was considering either the pioneer 575, toshiba 350e or the panasonic s97. any comments greatly appreciated, cheers.

2. p5yco

p5yco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    would i be best off connecting a samsung hd850 via hdmi to the projector, or pioneer 575 via component? will there be much difference in picture quality? help!

3. p623

p623

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi, i have if 7205 and can tell you that once you have gone digital input with a good upscaling player you wont bother with component(i use an OPPO 971) imported it from the us £160 in my hands and it is just spectacular

http://www.oppodigital.com/

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=491306&page=1&pp=30&highlight=oppo+dvd+player
    Regards
    paul

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I have a digital upscaling player and it isn't out-shone by a good component deck. I haven't seen the Oppo but everone raved about the Samsung 745, it got 5stars etc.There's a lot of myth that because the DVD can upscale it must automatically be a better pic. Why for example upscale 576p in the player only to have the projector potentially have to downscale it again? 2 scaling stages instead of 1 - why is this better?

If you can get a player which scales to the native res of the projector then it's a worthwhile exercise to have a go, in my case it is interesting to dabble with the different res's but there's no gain 576p vs 720p. It all depends on the respective merits of the scaler in the DVD player vs the projector, in my case they seem similar.

I do agree that removing the D->A->D stages should produce a better pic but in my experience it is not as significant as people make out.

By all means have a go at the Oppo, it will probably look great, as would the Samsung 850/950 etc. But don't simply assume it must be the best because it's digital. If you can hook up something like a Pioneer 575 via component too - a side by side test may be revealing...PJ :)