dvd player to connect to NEC 4210W plasma

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by vincentdarley, Nov 20, 2001.

1. vincentdarley

vincentdarley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently bought an NEC 4210W plasma screen (second hand!), and am wondering what DVD features I need to make best use of it. I'm currently driving it from my laptop using WinDVD which works wonderfully on some DVDs and awfully on others (e.g. Billy Elliott was very juddery).

I clearly want something with component video outputs, but do I need a progressive scan player? Any other suggestions?

Vince.

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,475
    Well a PC output will far exceed the quality from a progressive scan DVD player - assuming your plasma can cope. What are the specs of the plasma? Will it, for example, take various computer inputs like, say 800x600 @ 72Hz? Or is it limited to 640x480 @ 60Hz?
    I ask because if your Plasma will do 72Hz, this, for region 1 DVDs (NTSC) and 75Hz for region 2 (PAL) will be a lot smoother than the 50Hz output of a PAL DVD player. Just change the display properties of you PC.

3. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +540
    If you're gonna stick with a laptop buy a hardware dvd card at around £100. They are better than a software player and as you're only using a laptop they'll smooth out your judders by reducing processor strain greatly and give prog scan still.
    As Spectre sais you could play with resolution but if your'e already getting judders you aint gonna get the max cause your laptop is obviously straining.
    For a cheap but excellant stand alone player the Toshiba 210e multi region version is one possiblity £190ish, could connect via component or rgb scart depending on what connects the NEC has.

4. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,475
    I was thinking that the juddering could have been due to a 60Hz refresh rate. Changing to 72 would cure it in that case.

5. vincentdarley

vincentdarley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting! I'll have to check the settings on WinDVD to see what it's outputting. Basically I was pleasantly surprised so find that if I just connected laptop to plasma with a standard VGA screen and set it for external display (fn-F8 on my machine) it worked!

The precise specs of the screen are here:
    http://support.nectech.com/Vsd/plasma/px42m5a/

and here's a table of all the signals it supports:

http://support.nectech.com/Vsd/plasma/px42m5a/signals.pdf

This seems to indicate it will take 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768 at a variety of frequencies (the plasma's native resolution is 800x480 I think). Looking through my 'Display' settings on the laptop, it's using 60hz as a default. I shall have to try with 72hz (except I've returned the dvd now...).

The interesting thing was that this DVD (all others: Shrek, etc played perfectly) also showed the same problems when played on the laptops own screen. Any object that was moving (e.g. people walking cars moving) appeared to judder across the screen, while everything else was fine. I thought the judders were perhaps some sort of decoding problem/glitch (frames in wrong order sort of thing)...

Does this mean I shouldn't buy a DVD player since it will be significantly worse quality?

Is there a good reference on the differences between region1 and region2 dvds (the billy elliott was a region 2 pal one -- I've not used region 1 at all), I must say I had no idea that one would be best displayed at 72hz and the other 75hz?

cheers, Vince.