DVD player that supports 15m HDMI

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by lapino, Dec 21, 2006.

1. lapino

lapino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Since my Pioneer 696 does not work with ANY hdmi cable over 10m, I'm looking for a replacement. Must haves:
    * upscaling
    * GOOD divx playback
    * hdmi (of course)
    * same size as Pioneer components

2. steve bullock

steve bullock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i thought the maximum distance for a hdmi cable was 10m
    but maybe an expensive player outputs a stronger signal or something:confused:

3. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325
  4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    Providing you are using a decent quality HDMI cable then any of the Arcam players will drive a 15 metere length without any assistance at all.

Players which match your requirements would be either the DV137 or the DV139. Neither are cheap but will do what you want and will do it very well.

5. mwomwell

mwomwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I have an ARCAM DV137 and tried to connect via a 10m QED silver aniversary HDMI l(1080p capable) lead to a projector (Projectiondesign model 2) - had significant issues with PQ (very noisy image). The output from the DV137, set to 720p or 1080i showed no picture improvement, infact 720p was very poor. Strange thing is that SKYHD outputting 720p or 1080i using the same lead had no problems at all (no noise - very clean and sharp image), in fact I thought the DV137 was playing up but having spoken to ARCAM tech support they stated that they could not guarantee HDMI quality over 5m. When I told them that my shyhd output exhibited no problems they started talking about bandwidth limitations - I still find it strange that sky is okay and the DV137 plays up. I now have to use the Component output from the DV137 to the PJ, other than that it seems that I might have to get a HDMI repeated or booster.

6. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325
    There's been several problems with the DV137. I wonder if this is another, or perhaps you have a faulty one. For Arcam to not guarantee anything over 5m is very poor IMO. My DV29 has faultless HDMI over 12m. Personally, I wouldn't put up with it. If a £299 Sky HD box can do it, and Arcam are telling you their £1100 player can't, I would demand my money back.

Crusty, this can't be right?

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    If I wanted to go long HDMI lengths I wouldn't be using the QED cable. The cable you will find is the make or break component here. I have seen 25m running on an Arcam......and I have seen 2m fail.

8. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325
    Surely tho Nic if his Sky HD is working perfectly with the same cable, then how can it be the cable?

9. mwomwell

mwomwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The cable used was a QED QUNEX HDMI-SR (10m) - supposedly their highest spec and yes the SkyHD picture over this length and with the same cable was perfect, the DV137's image was very noisy - white specs all over the projected image. In both cases the the output was set at 720p - I agree that with the ARCAM at £1.2k you would expect it to perform better or at least equivalent to the HD box but no it's, quite frankly, rubbish and not worth watching. ARCAM did not feel their unit was at fault - i'm suprised at this though and I don't trust the DV137 as it has had too many problems since it's launch, albiet now supposedly resolved. I have tried this with other HDMI leads as well and the results were worse than when I used the QUNEX cable. So in conclusion I'm left using component output or a HDMI repeater, booster or what ever you want to call it. Incidentally the DV137 when used over a 3M HDMI cable gives an acceptable image.

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    At these long length, a cable that works with one bit of kit does not mean it will work with all bits of kit as the kit will be producng signals with a very different eye diagram. We are not saying the cable is faulty per se but just not every cable works in all situations. You need to look at this as a transmitter, cable and receiver system. All three components are important here and interact. I would look at a repeater box to 'clean' things up here and you can use it with you Pioneer.

11. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    I have used the DV137 and DV139 with great succes over 10m and 15m HDMI lengths without any issue whatsover. Our demo unit in the store is used over a 10m bog standard Arcam issued HDMI cable.

12. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Currently using a Denon 1920 with a 15m HDMI cable I bought via eBay. Works perfectly with my Panny AE700.

13. mwomwell

mwomwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    What was the display device when used with such cable lengths - PJ or TV. When connected to my PJ (Projection design model 2) the picture was very poor - lots of noise. I suspect I may have an issue with HDMI output from my DV137 as on a number of occasions a slight disturbance of connector has caused loss of picture and caused the 137 to crash. The HDMI lead was not a fault as I have tried a number of leads and they all exhibit the same - almost like a dry joint on the 137's PCB.

14. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    My money is still on the leads being not upto to spec. I have found very few reliable cables above 5m, and that includes many 'names'. A good trick now days is asking them if it is HDMI 1.3 compliant. That will separate out the men from the boys...:)

15. italianninja

italianninja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The simple answer is buy a better cable, monster m1000 should be sufficient.

16. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    It is used on an In focus IN76 and also on a Sim2 HT300E, both of which produce and excellent image with no noticeablt degradation of picture quality.

17. mwomwell

mwomwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I'm amazed but what throws me is the fact that when I output SKYHD usind the same lead and PJ the output is perfect but with the DV137 it's very poor - I wonder if the signal output levels are lower on the 137 when compared to sky' hd box, either that or the output is not digitally as clean. As i,ve said in previous mails I have tried different HDMI leads to no avail and ARCAM have already stated that they cannot guarantee output quality over 5m.

18. elliotjames

elliotjames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Lapino
    I am using a 12 meter display magic II cable bought via a power buy in the cables section from my sony ns76 to a ax100 pj with no problems.
    I haven't tried the player with divx so may be worth looking through the dedicated sony thread.
    IMO there seems to be no "best cable answer" just a matter of getting one that works for you but I think it is worth buying quality cable at this length but others have had success with cheap stuff.
    Hope this helps.