DVD Player that plays XviD, HD-XviD, x264 ?

ashtongate

Standard Member
Firstly I hope this is the right place for my question, I am wondering if any of you could possibly help me make a decision.
I have a bunch of XviD, HD-XviD and now some x264 files, before now I have been converting them to DVD with Nero to play in regular DVD Players and some files I have been converting to DivX.
I am thinking this is crazy and have been looking to perhaps connect my macbook to my Samsung Q96 50" Plasma directly to play these files, I am not too sure if my macbook would support the resolution so then I looked at different streaming systems. As these are a little expensive I am now thinking to simply burn these files directly onto DVD-R and play them in a DVD Player that supports the above formats. Putting them onto DVD-R is efficient for me as I can back them up at the same time.
So my question is: what is the best (if any) player that has 720P up-scaling and supports the playback of XviD, HD-XviD & x264 files.
Thanks in advance!

mmace

there isn't any at the moment (and probably won't be), best bet is connecting your laptop to the TV, think MacBook has mini DVI which you can get an adapter to HDMI or component to watch in HD on your TV.
there's so many codecs and containers out there that using a computer is by far the best way

ashtongate

Standard Member
Thanks Mate... the resolution my mackbook goes up to 1280x800. Before i get a mini dvi to dvi/hdmi do you think that resolution is enough to cover the plasma screen in 720p - sorry if its a stupid question?

nm10721

Banned
Firstly I hope this is the right place for my question, I am wondering if any of you could possibly help me make a decision.
I have a bunch of XviD, HD-XviD and now some x264 files, before now I have been converting them to DVD with Nero to play in regular DVD Players and some files I have been converting to DivX.
I am thinking this is crazy and have been looking to perhaps connect my macbook to my Samsung Q96 50" Plasma directly to play these files, I am not too sure if my macbook would support the resolution so then I looked at different streaming systems. As these are a little expensive I am now thinking to simply burn these files directly onto DVD-R and play them in a DVD Player that supports the above formats. Putting them onto DVD-R is efficient for me as I can back them up at the same time.
So my question is: what is the best (if any) player that has 720P up-scaling and supports the playback of XviD, HD-XviD & x264 files.
Thanks in advance!

I know its not on dvd as such but the snazzio network player supports usb drives (fat and ntfs) that play anything you chuck at it, i regularly watch dh stuff via the usb drive connected to my snazzio,

thanks,

Neil

ashtongate

Standard Member
I know its not on dvd as such but the snazzio network player supports usb drives (fat and ntfs) that play anything you chuck at it, i regularly watch dh stuff via the usb drive connected to my snazzio,

thanks,

Neil

That's really interesting, so i can hook up my Ext Hard Drive and play them through that way? That would work for me, Will it support the above mentioned formats? Expensive? I guess it has an HDMI input for my 720P plasma?

mmace

thanks,

Neil
the snazzio's hardly play any of the different HD files that are out there (h.264 in TS container, x264 in mkv container etc)

and yes for the resolution 720p is 1280x720, the resolution may be able to go higher as it may be restricted by the laptops display

ashtongate

Standard Member
I guess for now I should get some cables and play it through the macbook @ 1280x780. mmace, should i just play it through VLC player (full screen) and put it through dvi-hdmi to the Plasma? I am guessing a lot of people are doing this as there is no universal DVD player?
Is there no player that even plays: HD XviD?

My 3rd thought was to stream these files to a PS3 but i don't think that will play?

7hil

I guess for now I should get some cables and play it through the macbook @ 1280x780. mmace, should i just play it through VLC player (full screen) and put it through dvi-hdmi to the Plasma? I am guessing a lot of people are doing this as there is no universal DVD player?

My 3rd thought was to stream these files to a PS3 but i don't think that will play?

I use PS3 Video 9 to convert the x264 and XVID files to MPEG2 HD. Works a treat for the PS3. Just burn the movie as a DVD Data Disc and away you go! :thumbsup:

mmace

no need for conversion, just play through laptop, PS3 downmixes 5.1 to stereo as well which kind of ruins the HD experience (sound is important too!)

not sure what to use on the Mac, I use a PC to do it although I do have a MacBook but don't use it to watch HD

ashtongate

Standard Member
Cheers 7hil, that's interesting.. I wanted to get away from coverting stuff all the time.. I am asking something that doesn't exsist i.e. a dvd player that plays those formats. What are the most popular streaming devices?

norliss

I wanted to get away from coverting stuff all the time.. I am asking something that doesn't exsist i.e. a dvd player that plays those formats. What are the most popular streaming devices?

Now there's a question! I looked into this quite recently and although there are a number of options, there isn't (yet) anything out there that can do everything I wanted to.

Xbox360 and PS3 have all the horsepower in the world but functionality and codecs tend to be restricted. The media streamers eg Netgear EVA8000 and the Tvix boxes tend to support more codecs/file containers in principle but can be restricted by their hardware limitations and how much is possible through firmware updates alone. :(

Personally I'm gonna wait on that score (sorry if this is a little OT).

ashtongate

Standard Member
Now there's a question! I looked into this quite recently and although there are a number of options, there isn't (yet) anything out there that can do everything I wanted to.

Xbox360 and PS3 have all the horsepower in the world but functionality and codecs tend to be restricted. The media streamers eg Netgear EVA8000 and the Tvix boxes tend to support more codecs/file containers in principle but can be restricted by their hardware limitations and how much is possible through firmware updates alone. :(

Personally I'm gonna wait on that score (sorry if this is a little OT).

That's great - just the answer I need.. because it's good to know that i have not been missing out on some type of system that could cater for everything. I will wait, stuff must be around the corner soon and for the time being i will see how the macbook performs by connecting it to my plasma screen.

dino2021

Mac Mini is surely the way to go? A friend has one and it will play just about anything, Pretty sure he runs everything through VLC, I know he has had HD MkV's and MPEG2 HD stuff running through it, I dunno about the HD Xvid though, will ask him when I see him later.

nm10721

Banned

dont quote me on this but im sure the snazzio plays this. I used to have a 300gb hard drive with lots of hd ts movies on it (the 25gb galdiator amongst many), not to mention hd episodes of lost, heroes, the sopranos etc and it played them all. The only thing the snazzio is cack at is dvd disc playback as it has a ff problem that will never be resolved with firmware. I appreciate that some of the newer hd formats ,may not be supported on it. It has dvi instead of hdmi and upscales via component and dvi,

cheers,

neil

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom