1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD player sugestions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jamest, Sep 17, 2001.

1. jamest

jamest
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just equipped my freshly built home cinema with the Sony VPL-VW10HT projector and want to take advantage of the progressive scan compatibility. My current DVD player (now 2years+ old) doesn't have this capability so want to upgrade.

Any suggestions? First thought is the Pioneer 737 but this will only work with NTSC dvds. Are there any PAL PS players available or in the pipeline?

Any advice much appreciated.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
  3. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Hello

Do you know how the Denon 2800 compares to the Skyworth for PAL progressive as I have read that there are problems with the video quality

4. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hello<br />i have a pioneer 737 which untill recently ran through a plv-30 the results were quite good when in progressive scan this however was only any good with ntsc material, then bough an iscan which offered an even better picture a lot clearer and cleaner and was even better on pal material because the iscan converted the pal material in to pal progressive scan,but i agree with Gordon the denon dvd 2800 is a very good player with the silicon image processing already built in but i can't comment on the difference in quality between the 737 + iscan against the denon player but from a financial point of view i would advise checking out the denon.

regards

<br />richard

5. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive got the denon 2800 and sony wht10, looks great, it used the dvdo chipset, same as the iscan i beleive. I dont know why youd pay for a 737 and iscan, surely a cheaper panasonic decoder based dvd with the iscan would be better and cheaper

6. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Denon apparently say that changing the firmware wont effect the warranty

7. jamest

jamest
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for advice. Looks like the Denon is my man - do you where I can buy a region modified UK version (if at all)? Obviously it needs to play RCE DVDs too.

Can't find anywhere confirmation that this player outpouts progtessive PAL either!

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    James,

It does output PAL once hacked. Any UK Denon dealer can supply one. They come region2 as standard though. Your dealer would have to do the hacking. Or you can download firmware off the net and burn a CD for yourself to do it.

Do a search on the forums for post by Ian Guinan about this model for further info.

Gordon

9. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    after reading this thread...does this mean a projector that offers Component input can handle progressive scan..?? I have a Sony CS3 and a Pioneer 939A and would love to use PS (as I used to have a Plasma with it)..someone put me right..please..

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    No I'm afraid it doesn't. The YPbPr component signal standard can be used for carrying different scan rates of signal, both interlaced and progressive. So it's feasible that a projector will accept the interlaced signal carried down a component cable but not the progressive one.

To check you want to make sure that the projector or display device in question has the ability to have at least a 32kHz vertical scan rate (for line doubled pal/ntsc).

Gordon

[ 27-09-2001: Message edited by: Gordon, Convergent-AV ]</p>

11. terryc

terryc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    metric,would you please clarify.You say you have the Denon 2800;does it output progressive scan in PAL and if so could you let me know where you got it.My local dealer has'nt a clue.

12. Rupert Bear

Rupert Bear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon's post says that "It does output PAL once hacked." I don't understand why a region 2 machine that has "progressive scan" emblazoned on its fascia needs to be modified to output progressive PAL.

I play almost exclusively region 2 discs through a Sanyo plv-30 so would be very interested in a machine which made use of the Sanyo's progressive scan capability.

Gordon, can you explain ?

Thanks

Rupert

13. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Rupert Bear: It has to be hacked to output Pro-scan PAL because there is currently no official PAL pro-scan standard, or licensing for it, so it is, strictly speaking illegal, form DVD players anyhow.

14. Rupert Bear

Rupert Bear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richard,

Thanks for the explanation.

Rupert