1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD player sound differences?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Triponi, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Triponi

Triponi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently dribbling over magazine's trying to put together my first Home cinema (to replace hifi as well) setup. I have a very basic question first of all:

How much difference does the DVD player make to sound quality? If you pump it out over a digital cable to the Receiver surely the DVD player doesn't play any part in the sound and it's only the receiver that counts, no?

Next, my current thinking is to go for:

Toshiba SD510E
    Sony STR-DB1070
    A Sony 28/29 inch 50Hz TV I think
    Speakers - I haven't a clue about.

Any comments or recommendation welcomed.

Thanks,

Triponi
    (UK, however I am in Germany for a while if that makes any difference).

2. Triponi

Triponi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I appreciate that my question is very basic and hence increadably boring to answer, but I really would be grateful if anyone could help me.

It's not that I haven't tried searches etc. myself, it's just I find it is more difficult to find out answers to trivial questions than complex ones. This is probably because (understandably) no one bothers to write about them as they are so obvious!

Perhaps someone could give me a few good 'idiot guides' links.

Any help gratefully received,

Triponi

3. Spencem

Spencem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have often wondered the same thing about digital outputs, if it just transcribes the code from the disk to the port how different can they be?

I think the reason your not getting answered is that the 510E is very new and I don't think that many people have one yet.

Also give us some idea of budget.

4. Triponi

Triponi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying,

My budget is a maximum of £1500, and I decided to split it with the following approximate weighting (sensible?):

TV (4:3) - £500
    DVD - £300
    Receiver - £400
    Speaker - £300

I'm going to bite the bullet in about 2 or 3 months time, and I should be able to get a few cheap deals here in Germany before I return to the UK.

The reason for my digital output question is that the 510E has been reviewed 'as not so good for stereo' which concerns me as I want it as my main CD player too. If the DB1070 takes care of it instead tho, I don't need to worry.

Triponi.

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Dvd players will sound different when connected by the digital outputs, what you´ll hear from the better players is more detail that the cheapo players dont pick up.

Take my Toshiba 210, a budget player, but this picks up more from the disc than my Panasonic A360 (a mid price player in its day). The Toshiba sounds better, both are connected via coaxial to the same amp. You hear more of the little sound effects, birds chirping etc etc

When they refer to the cd playback not being so good, I think this is using the analogue outs of the player and not the Digital outs.

Strange they dont rate the Toshiba 510 as most of their models are pretty good cd spinners.

cheers

6. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    A digital coax will use the DAC of the DVD Player and an analogue lead will use the DAC of the Amp / Processor - it's trial and error deciding which sounds better. Personally I just use a digital coax for movies and music.

If it helps I use 'The Producer' by Eccosse @ around £20 which is very 'musical'

7. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Why go for a Sony Amp? I have one they are only average on sound quality.
    Denon have a good name for them selves
    Look at these's

Denon Amp AVR-1802 (pro-logic 2)
    Denon DVD- DVD 1000 (no rgb, no scart)
    Speaker's,Tannoy do a good budget system called the Mx series, they do complete kits.

The Toshiba 510 should be a good dvd plaer.

Dvd 1000 review here

Tannoy Speakers Here

Denon AVR0 1802 here

The Denon AVR - 2802 would be even better at £510

8. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Are you sure you want to go for a 4:3 tv? You certainly wont be getting the best from your DVD.There are plenty of perfectly respectable 28" 16:9 Nicam's available for this price or cheaper,shop about.If you decide to go for a 4:3 then you might end up regretting it. For the DVD i would recommend going for the Toshiba SD210e and saving over £100 on your budget.I would consider upping your speaker budget a bit if you can though.

9. Triponi

Triponi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for those answers,

So let me get this straight......

[Can't work out how to do those cool inline quote's]

Jase wrote:
    'Dvd players will sound different when connected by the digital outputs, what you´ll hear from the better players is more detail that the cheapo players dont pick up.'

So DVD players only output a subset of the audio track, persumably this is what the sampling rate is refering too...?

common wrote:
    'A digital coax will use the DAC of the DVD Player and an analogue lead will use the DAC of the Amp / Processor'

Is this deffinitly right? Or the wrong way round? Why should a DAC be needed to output a digital stream from digital media & why should a DAC be needed to convert an analogue input to the speaker output?

Thanks for the equipment comments by Ron240 & Timh, I shall certainly look into your suggestions and will probably post some followup's in more relevant forums soon. It appears however that the Tosh 510E is a good choice tho,

Thanks,

Triponi

10. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Your right - sorry wrong way round !

11. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Yeah it's the wrong way round......

Digital output uses the DAC in the amp, analogue output uses the DAC in the player......

The differences in DD/DTS sound between players is quite subtle, due to the nature of the bitstream.

"music" output however is very sensitive to the player even with digital output, due to the susceptability of the DACs to jitter.

12. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I tried once a comparision between my friends CDP (Marantz CD-63MKII KISig) against my Yamaha DVD-S700 (US Model).
    The Marantz is a highly rated player and was connected the analog way, the DVD (not so highly rated ;) ) was connected using a digital (75 Ohm) coax.

My friend, who is more into hifi than AV, and myself could hear a subtle difference in favor of the Marantz, but only when using audiophile recordings (Chesky) and mostly with female voices only.
    However the improvement was so small that I don't think it would be worth to invest in a dedicated CDP, at least not when using it with an AV amp (having myself a Yamaha DSP-A1).

I would therefore suggest to connect a DVD player via digital (optical or coaxial) only, thus minimising cabling and also benefit from the decoder in the AV amp.

Note that I highly recommend a digial coax (75 Ohm), especially if you listen a lot to music. A normal interconnect can work and you may not here much difference with DD/DTS (as they are compressed) but with CD-Audio it can sound pretty bad.

My 2 pennies worth ...