DVD player recommendations please

sjl

Standard Member
Reaction score
I need a new DVD player to compliment my Panny PW6.I am looking for component out and the ability to play all the disc formats inc mp3 and obviously multiregion.

Budget can be around £250 but no more.It also has to be black lol.

Did originally think about one of the Denon's but their appear to be issues with the PW6 and these so I am open to suggestions.

Many thanks

Steve

I just picked up a dv575 from Richer Sounds, Kingston last night. £120 and they had plenty in stock.

If you want to spend £250, the Panasonic S97 has the Faroudja 2910 chipset you will find in the Denon 2910/3910 - hook it up to a DVi board on the PW6 using a HDMI-DVI lead. Its what I'm going to do :)

gstadt said:
If you want to spend £250, the Panasonic S97 has the Faroudja 2910 chipset you will find in the Denon 2910/3910 - hook it up to a DVi board on the PW6 using a HDMI-DVI lead. Its what I'm going to do :)

I was under the impression that the DVI board was not compatible with the PW6 only the PW7. I may well be mistaken though.

I too am looking to buy a dvd player for around £200 - what are these problems that are mentioned with Denons and the PW6? - I'd made my mind up on the Denon 1910 connected via component to the PW6

LOL I am even more confused now.

When the Pioneer hit the streets I did consider getting one but after following the marathon thread on here about it and noting lots of complaints about poor build quality/general flimsiness I decided against it.A friend recently purchased the Denon 1710 and is over the moon with it so I thought yeah I fancy the 1910 for the DVD-A stuff and its got DVI as well(thinking ahead).

Then I read all these posts about macroblocking with the PW6 and the 1910 and its kind of put me off,plus I only recently bought a Component blade for the Panny.I had also read on here that there are issues with the PW6 and the DVI blade but cant recall what they were.

Ah one more thing just to throw into the mix the player has to be able to cope with the layer change better than my current Sony.Got time to make a cup of tea whilst its going on ;)

Thanks

Steve

My understanding is that the macroblocking relates to the Faroudja DCDi chip rather than the DVD player par se - Denon 1710,1910, 2910, 3910 and S97 all suffer from it to a greater/lesser degree. From what I gather, the MB can be mitigated against through proper calibration and is offset by the superior processing ability of said chip. As for the DVi connection, a lot of problems tend to arise due to 'communication difficulties' between DVD player and DVi board i.e Pioneer 868-DVi; Denon 3910-DVi. It would be reasonable to expect a Panasonic S97 DVD player to have no such problems with a Pansonic DVi blade (or maybe I expect too much :rolleyes:)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom