1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD player recommendations anyone?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by darklight, Jan 21, 2005.

1. darklight

darklight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    My Panasonic RV41 seems to have went to the great scrap heap in the sky so I'm on the look out for a new multiregion player.
    I've a budget of around £140 and would like to upgrade to a RGB Compenet compatable player as my TV (Panasonic TX 36pd) supports the progressive scan RGB with component connections.
    I've heard good reports about the Yamaha 550. All recommendations are welcome. :)

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    A frequent recommendation round here is the Pioneer 575 (c. £149 or less), not had any experience with it myself but a quick scan of recent threads will give you a good idea of what people think of it.

3. darklight

darklight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Does it matter if the DVD has Prgressive Scan for PAL only. What I mean is what's the advanages of NTSC/PAL scan

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think it means that if you try to play an NTSC DVD it'll output 480i instead of 480p, so the display will have to do the de-interlacing. If your DVD collection is entirely or mainly region 2 PAL then of course this isn't an issue, if you have a number of R1s then it may be something to consider.

That said, the Pio 575 is dual-mode progressive, according to this on-line ad.