1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD player purchase now - R1 progressive only?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by richard plumb, Mar 20, 2002.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    I'm looking to find the right DVD player to go with my eventual PTAE100 purchase. I currently have a pioneer DV505, which is only S-video output. I'd like component as a minimum.

Bearing in mind the problems some people have had with PAL progressive, and the fact that PAL generally looks nice anyway, would I be OK going for a 'normal' NTSC progressive player (region modded of course)? I get the feeling that NTSC discs would benefit most from anything that would fill in those scanlines (although the panasonic will have a go).

Will one of these machines output interlaced PAL via the same component outputs? I've read a couple of times that some equipment has two sets of component cables, one for progressive, one for interlaced.

Or is there a genuine PAL progressive alternative yet? with no tearing or chroma or sync problems etc.

Lastly, which machine is a good one to go for? Relatively cheap :) Thanks.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    I can't comment on general trend, but my region free Pioneer 737 outputs a signal from the component outputs all the time, as well as from composite and SVideo ie no switching is needed.

The component output is automatically progressive when an NTSC DVD is in the player, and is automatically interlaced when a PAL one is in. Outputs from other connections are always interlaced.

The 737 is an altogether excellent player. It has been superseded by the 747 (which has, over the 737, MP3, SACD and DVDA replay). If these latter things aren't important, consider sourcing a 737 which should be available relatively cheaply. It has more menu-driven tweaks you can apply to the video signal than you could poke a stick at.....

3. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was about to post the same question!

Now I have the Sony VW11 which has NTSC de-interlacer, I'm wondering if a PAL progressive player would be any good. The priority now is for a component output DVD player as I only have S-Video at the moment.

I've considered the Pioneer 747 or even the Sony NS700 (£300 MR).

Ideally, I'd like to go for a Hi-Fi quality CD/DVD like the Arcam DV88 or even the FMJ but at £1,300 to £1,700 it's a lot of money!

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    I'm pretty certain (although have never tried it) that the VW10 will handle a deinterlaced (progressive) PAL input via its component inputs just as well as an NTSC one. Doing this, of course, uses the deinterlacer in the player and bypasses the one in the PJ. I'd assume that the 11 is the same in this respect, although I gather that the deinterlacer/scaler in the 11 is way ahead of the 10, and up there with the best external boxes.

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Richard

As you have probably noticed I recently partnered the Lecson dvd1000 with the Ae100, even though the Lecson had the streaking fault, I would still go for a progressive pal player.
    Most disc's had a large leap in picture quality when fed the progressive pal input compared to the interlaced componant input.

I am at the moment trying to find out some more info on the new Harmon Kardon dvd25 progressive player, officially it is progressive ntsc only, but it can be upgraded by cdr. I believe it use's the dvdo chip from silicon image, this is used in the iscan pro which is known to do progressive pal. It is a new player so it may take a while to find out, but as with other Harmon players it should offer top picture and sound, for around £450.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    OK, I can't comment on the AE100 as I have not been able to get one to evaluate.

Re Progressive NTSC/PAL. Denon DVD2800, ArcamDV88(WITH BOARD) or FMJ27 can all do PAL prog when hacked. The Arcams have seperate interlaced and progressive component outputs. This is because the progressive board is an additional circuit that plugs in to the main PCB. This can be a hindrance and a help.

The VPL11 has 2:3 pulldown detection for film based NTSC DVD's. It works well if fed a good component signal. It has trouble working stuff out with composite... It doesn't have 2:2 detection for FILM based PAL DVD's though, at least it doesn't say it does. So a progressive DVD with this capability may be a benefit. Both the above units have this facility when hacked.

With fixed pixel projectors like hte ones you guys are talking about it has nothing to do with filling in lines. That bit is done by the scaling engine in the projector. The bit you're trying to fix is re-constituting the original film frames from their interlaced fields. Both NTSC and PAL will benefit from this.

Hope this is some use,

Gordon

7. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So basically you're saying that PAL progressive is worth getting? What players are available now?

I think the Pioneer 747 can do it with a mod and maybe the Sony 9000ES. Other than that, the Arcam DV88 or FMJ I suppose.

8. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I use the 737 with the AE100 and get superb results.
    R1 prog scan is excellent.
    R2 interlaced looks very very good too.
    There is a thread in the DVD player section about a firm that is seeking a PAL prog upgrade for the 737, as it has already done the 747.

I bought my 737 from Bolton Sound and Vision, multi region for £390.

You can get 737's all over the shop as they make way for the 747.

9. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Whilst in the states I have purchased via Amazon a Daewoo 9000N DVD player.I understand my PT AE 100 has now arrived and I will report back on this player which is NTSC Progressive and Region/PAL hackable as soon as possible.
    Whilst here I also spoke to the on line Hoya filter supplier who has been bombed with orders for the 55mm HMC FL DAy version.These are now on 1 month's back order.He has shipped to me a 58mm version which all being well should be fixable on the proj via tape!

10. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Helicopter

Do you have an address for the online filter supplier?

Thank's

11. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5