1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd Player???? Please help????

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by red2004devil, Jan 1, 2005.

1. red2004devil

red2004devil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Well their still selling it so you can get a replacement. Hopefully they will collect your old one and deliver a new one at the same time.

Does the player repeatedly try to access the disc before coming up with "no disc" or does it not make any attemp to access the disc at all?

If it at least tries to work you could try a laser lens cleaning disc either cd or dvd. If it doesn't attempt to work it sounds like the drive can't spin up and the motor is probably faulty.

Christmas time being a time of visiting relatives and children could anyone have got to it and changed anything? I'm thinking of something that might have got into the player and is resting on the laser mechanism. Paper or something.

3. red2004devil

red2004devil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It does try to load it then says no disk. All the people we had round are over 25 years old so i hope they havent! I will try the lens cleaner thanks

4. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just had a look at the specs on the DVD player and its got retro games built in :eek: So what are the games that are on the player then? Is it like an emulated console (nes, master system etc) or something else?

5. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I think its a kingwon with a sunplus chipset. Kingwon is here;

http://www.kingwonint.com/cp/dvd/KW-PDVD9000(A)S.HTM

sunplus are most famous for doing the chipsets for speaking teddy bears etc but have moved into dvd decoding chips too. They are not seen as high performance chips but they do license their progressive scan technology from silicon image. The company is more about fun products and I suppose a dvd player wtih games fits that description.

I don't know what the games are but the mips or arm risc core in most dvd players is up to emulating something like a nes or master system really easily in fact it could do much better consoles than that. However its about finding space in the firmware i.c.s for the emulation and games. Some players supply the games on disc rather than built in though.

I want to see a dvd player with an archimedes emulator built in. So whenever I fancy it I can play Elite, Starfighter 3000 or stuntracer 2000. That would be great!