1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD player or X-box?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by chrbjo, Apr 4, 2002.

1. chrbjo

chrbjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I´m finally going to buy a DVD-player for my Sony KV32-FX65.
    What I must have is mp3-support. I have had my eyes on the Pioneer DV444-S, but have recently been thinking of the X-box.
    How are your impressions of the DVD-quality in the X-box?
    Is it possible to add mp3-support (if not present by default), might it be possible to add DivX-support?

2. chrbjo

chrbjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the question dumb or does noone have any opinions about this?
    Would be great if someone, replyed.
    Thanks.

3. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's possible that nobody in this forum has got an X-Box. Most people here are saving for the latest/greatest DVD/Screen/Speakers/whatever. Buying a X-Box would divert badly needed funds. If they do have one, they're probably too busy playing on it to post! :D

The verdict on PS2 vs. 'proper' DVD player was overwelmingly: get a proper DVD player. I suspect that the story with the X-Box would be much the same. Considering the other things which the X-Box does, I doubt that they've spent as much on the dedicated DVD playback components as even a £99 DVD player.

Charles.

4. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    Best to buy a dedicated DVD player. Going by sales figures, the XBox looks doomed. Also, there seems to be a dire lack of decent games for it.

RDB :)

PS Not sure what the DVD playback is like on the XBox. My friend has one but he's too lazy/tight to buy the playback kit thingy.

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I've heard that the X-Box scratches DVDs :eek:

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have ADDITIONAL funds with which to buy an Xbox AFTER you've aquired a suitable DVD player then sure, go for it. If that's not the case, stick with a dedicated DVD player.

Don't forget that if you do by an Xbox you're going to need a significant amount more money to buy the accessories to allow DVD playback and some actual games to play on it.

Far better to spend £300 on something like the Toshiba SD510 which will play MP3s, a decent SCART lead and some DVDs to watch through it all :)

Plus, delaying your Xbox purchase will also give you a better insight as to whether it's even going to be around in a year's time...

7. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    But does the Tosh 510 let you play Halo?

chrbjr, once you have halo, you'll forget what DVDs are !

8. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMHO...........

Forget XBOX for DVD playback, tried it the other night, fastest demo on earth.. I just laughed and switched it off;)

Taz.:cool:

9. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True, no dedicated DVD player will allow you to play Halo... but then the Xbox won't *really* allow you to play DVDs either :)

A decent DVD player bought now will still play DVDs (which will still be released every week) in two years time. Time will tell if there the Xbox will still be having games released for it at that time...

10. chrbjo

chrbjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK. Thanks, I guess it will be a DVD player then.
    So the Toshiba SD510 is that good?
    -Juboy: Ever seen films on or tried the Pioneer 444-S? Looks really slick, and the specs look fine too.

11. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The Dv444 is a very good player, around at £230 at the moment, the black version was £200 but is no more it would seem.

Well worth the money as a budget player.

12. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    crhbjo: I mentioned the Tosh 510 as it offers the MP3 playback facility that your original post mentioned.

It is a damn fine player in terms of video and audio also. Plus the progressive scan output and DVD-A facility gives you a fair amount of future proofing... all for £300.

I haven't seen any Pioneer players demoed to me, although the reviews are consistently good.

13. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    People have such short memories....

The PS2 was 'doomed' at launch when it had none, zero, nowt, quality games at launch yet no one can deny the PS2's place in marketing and games history. Plus it offered the public the wonders of composite DVD quality !!

Why so quick to 'dis the X Box ? People here are relatively intelligent yet make speculative unqualified remarks. At least the x box has a few decent titles at launch.

A console is neither a success or failure in a few weeks. Sure it seems expensive but then the PS2 was at launch too. Prices will drop for Xmas. Time is the only way to quantify success/failure.

I remember at the start everyone thought DVD would fail !! LOL

If you are looking for the holy grail of DVD picture quality then you must not consider the X Box. If you have £300 but would love a games machine and an reasonable RGB DVD picture then it is £300 well spent.

Good luck.

Regards

14. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Never been into gaming and consoles but the X-Box seems to be a big rip-off, for DVD playback you need to buy additional accessories and they do cost (a lot). Performance-wise it's not up to scratch either as I read.
    Not to mention it's made by Microsoft - for me reason enough not to consider.

Anyhow, a dedicated DVD player should give a far better performance and is more user friendly when it comes to watching DVDs.

15. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    True, but if they'd bundled the dvd remote etc into the box, then people like me would have said it is a big rip-off, as I don't need dvd playback as I already have a DVD player.

I think their approach closely reflects the market they're going for - the older, more financially empowered buyer, who 'is likely' to already have a DVD player in the house.

I also distrust microsoft intently, and don't recognise their value. but halo is cool.

16. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Xbox not coming with the full accessories needed to play DVDs is not a rip off at all. It makes a lot of sense as Bonesy says.
    Why make games console purchasers pay for something they'll never use if they already own a DVD player?

Not entirely sure I buy into the whole 'Microsoft stinks' thing either... after all, I bet you both used a Windows based PC running IE in order to make your posts...

What I do think is wrong, if you have any regard for quality over all formats, is the convergence of home entertainment hardware into fewer boxes.

I still don't really know why reviewers and consumers take CD playback into consideration when assessing DVD players. It's now got to the frankly ridiculous state of people actually choosing one DVD player over another for it's MP3 playback facilities!

DVD players play movies, CD players play music and Consoles should play games. Quite aside from the quality aspect, it means you can pack your living room full of shiny boxes with flashing lights and, ooooh, the cables you need to go with it all!

17. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The Xbox not coming with the full accessories needed to play DVDs is not a rip off at all. It makes a lot of sense as Bonesy says.
    Why make games console purchasers pay for something they'll never use if they already own a DVD player?

Well, a bit of conspiracy theory here - but - the price of the X-Box is already quite high and who says they have not already charged you for the DVD playback in a way? Developing and implementing that function would need to be paid for, imagine nobody buys the "DVD Kit"!? How would they recover the cost then?
    Well, perhaps I am a bit pessimistic here but I don't trust that particular company a lot.

Not entirely sure I buy into the whole 'Microsoft stinks' thing either... after all, I bet you both used a Windows based PC running IE in order to make your posts...

You win this bet, but only because I use the PC at the office and most people aren't left with a choise, especially those which no nothing about computers (aka the normal user).
    And why had it to take so many years before you get an operating system (XP) that can actually recover when an application crashes, instead of crashing, too, and responding with a blue screen!?
    I always thought that was an essential part of an OS - but no worries, every update (charged to the user of course) was an improved version. Next time you buy a car you need to buy new tires as part of an upgrade, else you can't drive from A to B no more ...

Oh, and did I mention that most applications which kept on crashing are MS products like IE and Office?

If I had a PC at home it would surely run on Linux - and if my company grows I will recommend them to change, too.
    Heard about the rumour that MS wants to charge you a yearly maintenance fee for commercial users including forced upgrades!? Thank you Mr. Gates, but MS sucks big time. :mad:

18. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with you on most aspects of your post Reiner and I'm no particular fan of MS, or any any other manufacturer that sells me overpriced goods with known defects/unresolved problems.

Trouble is, that means just about every piece of kit we all own :)

Maybe if developers/manufacturers designed kit for dedicated usage instead of trying to put everything you ever saw in Dixons into a set-top box for £199 there'd be fewer problems.

19. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is quite funny reading non gamers talking bout the X Box. Please stick to what you know best, and talk about av equipment. I would not comment on the future of dvd players/past and present, yet this is what a lot of you are doing. You read a couple of press releases..and you become experts on gaming.
    Regarding the question...the X box is a better dvd player than the ps2...but not as good as a dedicated player. But where anoyne gets the idea it is a rip off i dont know.....the ps2 is much more of a rip off..less powerful, no hard drive, no adsl, expensive memory cards.....the Dreamcast had more than that...for a lot less.....

20. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Not sure if you were referring to me but I never claimed to be an expert on gaming nor have I commented on the quality of the games or the other (non-DVD) features of the X-Box.

Yet I believe I am qualified to make statements as the above when referring to the DVD capabilities or DVD related functions in general.
    BTW: The question was to compare an X-Box to a dedicated DVD player and not to a PS2.

So I don't see a conflict here but in the end it's up to you to decide if you buy this box or not.

21. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Little T2: just because this is an AV forum doesn't mean people aren't gamers. If you think about it, your presence proves that.

Anyway, for the record, I've owed consoles from Binatone 'Tennis' machines through Atari, Donkey Kong handhelds, NES, SNES, N64, Dreamcast and have played friend's Sega Master System, Megadrives and Sony Playstation and PS2s.

I feel pretty confident that I'm able to make general comments about game machines.

Personally I don't think the Xbox as a gaming machine is a 'rip off' and have never said so. What I did say, and stand by, is that DVDs will still be released every week in two years time... guaranteed (films are still released now on VHS remember). Whether the Xbox will still be around is much less certain. I don't really see how you can argue that point, unless you have access to a time machine.

22. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    OK I'm a non gamer sort and I think I know a little about picture quality.

I own a US import XBOX. It's fantastic for the games I have for it. I like the fact you can rip CD's to it to play during parties. I have the DVD option for it.

One of the reasons you don't get DVD playback as standard with these things is , of course, licensing fees. I didn't think the $30 or whatever it was, was expensive to try out DVD playback so I did.

The XBOX uses a GEFORCE video card I believe. This is not crap. It's actually pretty neat. I used the HiDef component out pack to feed interlaced YPrPb to a scaler and on to my Sony1270 data projector. The XBOX gave an image pretty much like an HTPC. It was very detailed and I thought very good for £300....It does seem to have black level set at 7.5ire for NTSC though so brightness settings for PAL and this are different. I do not know how the PAL version would be in comparison.

Hope this is some use,

Gordon

23. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As you have had a chance to compare things Gordon, maybe you could help put this thread to rest...

In your opinion, does Xbox DVD playback holds it's own against a decent £200 dedicated DVD player (with all the 'extras' to allow good quality, such as a decent SCART lead etc.)?

24. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im a gamer, and like many other people on this forum feel that the X-Box is a rip off. You pay £300 for the console, then the games are an extra £40-60 on top of that. It's not just microsoft whos consoles seem over priced though, the Playstation is still expensive, Im glad to see the Gamecube coming out with a fairly respectable price tag of £150, but the games will still be in the £50, I remember Nintendo saying they were swapping to a mini-dvd based format to save on money as theyre cheaper than cartridges, unfortunatelly we dont seem to have saved much. I still remember the prices on mega drive, master system, nes and snes games. What ever happened to the time when people could affoard to buy a console with a few games, not to mention the console actually came with a game, now days you cant get a console for under £200 with games, required accessories, and a second controller at least. I wouldnt mind paying it but one magasine I saw decided to build up a pc to the same specks as the X-Box for about a £100 cheaper, now alls needed is the operating system, after all if you look inside an X-Box it is a pc afterall, at least the other consoles are fairly small, it would look okay on a hifi rack though about the same size. Personally at the price I expect good dvd playback if its able to do it, after all I keep consoles in a bedroom and cant afoard top notch hifi for every room in the house,

David

25. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess the recent 33% reduction in price is an indication that, in fact, at £300 the Xbox was pretty much considered a rip-off by Microsoft themselves!

£200 seems a fair price and it's excellent to see them compensating previous/loyal owners with 2 games and an extra controller... although surely the irony isn't lost on people that the very people that ran out to buy one initially probably also bought all the games they wanted plus a second controller at about the same time...

Interesting times ahead now for Nintendo... at half the price the Gamecube looked an obvious choice but at only £50 less than Xbox the line becomes blurred.

Wonder what odds Labrokes would give on a pre-Christmas price cut of the GC to £99?

26. Dan5

Dan5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe Nintendo have now announced the Game Cube is going to be £129 at launch in response to Microsoft.

Dan

27. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286

I think the price is about to drop to around 200 quid for the X-box.......

Gav

28. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that gavan. I am aware of this.

At the time I posted the message there was no mention of X Box at £200.

An even better deal, I think. I have not used the X Box DVD player so can't compare with my Toshiba DVD player.

I still believe a dedicated DVD will be better albeit maybe not by much.

Regards

29. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Sorry to jump in on the thread, but does anyone know definitively if the UK Xbox will output progressive scan?

What varieties will it do?

Anyone tested it out? Does it look any better?

Where do you buy the leads (US?)

Regards,
    Ian Guinan