1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD player or disk?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by villaceltic, Jun 13, 2003.

1. villaceltic

villaceltic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got a bit of a fright whilst watching LOTR yesterday when large boxes of single colour pixels started appearing on the screen, audio and picture started to shudder and became stilted and then the picture froze. Tried skipping back through the scene and played through again but it got worse. Took the DVD out looked at it, cleaned it off, tried again - same thing. Took DVD out, cleaned with dry cloth, blew inside machine whilst tray was open and played again. Seemed fine now.

As this is the first time something like that has happened, was it just something on the disk (fluff/dust) or is it the player or is it a sign of something more sinister?

Macca

2. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So far it sounds like dirt.

Fingers crossed.

How old is your DVD, have you ever cleaned the lens?

3. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think an area often overlooked , at least by me sometimes, is the disc tray itself. Quite often found specks of dust/what have you deposited there. Maybe carried there from disc(s) maybe airborne.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first copy of LOTR 4 discer had a manufacturing fault. Disc two, the chapter with the large white tree (walking up to meet Glaridentrel)

Pixellated and crashed on two players- got a replacement.

Is it the same area?

Although your problem sounds like dirt.

5. villaceltic

villaceltic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tosh 220e - only 6 months old. It's not had extensive use as I was waiting to build up my system with an amp and 6 speakers (now have). How do you clean the lense? Is it just with the bog standard DVD cleaning kit?

Macca

6. villaceltic

villaceltic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan, no it was the "fellowship depart" or something near the beginning of disk 2 - I've not watched that sequence recently as I was using the 'caves' sequence predominantly to audition speakers.

Hopefully it was just dirt

Macca