DVD player or DAC?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Atano, May 20, 2004.

1. Atano

Atano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

I've just bought a new Pioneer 668 DVD player, equipped with 192kHz/24bit Burr-Brown DA-converters and I'm not happy with the sound I get from this dvd player on my 2-channel setup. We're talking music here, not movies (where it's more than adequate).

I've been told to buy an external DAC to improve the music, get it abit more clean and crisp. I've been offered a second hand 96kHz/24bit DAC, but I'm doubtful what an "older" (2000 model) DAC would do for my sound. This DAC cost a small fortune a few years back when it was new, but I guess things have been improved on that area aswell.

Can anyone explain what exactly a "lower spec" DAC would do for my "higher spec" dvd player's musical capabilities? As for the 192kHz vs. 96kHz, I have no idea what that means, besides what used to be the hype in the computer arena, the more Hz the better. Does it have something to do with the SACD/DVD-A capabilities of the dvd player? If so, it's unimportant to me, as I play 99% normal cd's.

Thanks to anyone that can help me out here

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There is of course alot more too it than the dac specs...... there is much to be said for implementation though I wont try and explain it because id probably confuse both you me and everyone else....

My feeling always has been that a cheap transport (the pioneer....well cheapish) and a high end dac are a bit of a wasted combo. I dont think a high end dac will improve upon the built in lower end dacs (given other limitations in the line) to an extent to make it worthwhile. I will of course stress that many disagree with me and some go as far as believing that any one transport can achieve EXACTLY the same thing as another (i.e. that the transport in a £5k linn unidisk is just as good as in a £50 beko player). It isnt worth revisiting that debate because all camps seem confident in their stance, hence the only way to know if you get worthy improvement is to try it....

ad

3. Icarus

Icarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a listen to an Arcam CD player, you will probably sit back and say ahhhh yes! Almost any CD player is better for music than a DVD player two or maybe even three times the price.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ive just got an arcam dv27 DVD player..... it is very very good as a cd player..... certainly an easy match for any £500 cd player and I suspect players somewhat better than that

ad

5. Icarus

Icarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yes, but you are quoting Arcam again. :D I have a Denon DVD2200 and it is comparitively horrid when playing CD's compared to my 12 year old Arcam black box transport and stand alone DAC. 4 weeks ago I upgraded to an Arcam CD 93 which I find stunning.

6. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't take much notice of marketing hype,or it "old" technology,I use a 18 bit Cal Audio Lab, Alpha dac and it is awesome,hard to get hold,but what a stunning sound it produces,it will take cd play back to the premiership.I had it in for repair a few weeks ago,and had to use my DVD player,hey where did the music go? flat and lifeless,a good high quality old DAC will really improve the DVD player for music reproduction.you sometimes see older Micromega DACS on E-bay,these are very good too,very big and smooth and cheap nowdays.