1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD player on top of amp....Problems ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jonnyv, Jul 6, 2002.

1. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    My dvd player is sitting on top of my amp underneath the tv.

I have noticed the dvd player seems to get quite warm after watching a dvd.

Is it not a good idea to have my dvd player on top of my amp ?

cheers

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hi Jonny

Stacking things on top of the amp is not a good idea, not only blocking the amp ventilation but also heats up the dvd player as well.

Amps especially, need good ventilation, you dont want them shutting down during films! At least 10/15 cm space all round should be enough, more if possible.

Cheers

3. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is confusing when you see top pro installs to see that the equipment is stacked on top of each other in a cupboard with no mention of ventilation etc.

Try placing the equipment in a rack to one side of the gogglebox, if noting else, seeing less LED's when watching a film will improve things, also be easier to keep power cables well away from interconnects. This should lower the noise floor.

Nathan

4. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Thanks for the replys, i have got a rack to the right of the tv, but my amp is too big (deep) to fit.

Also moving the amp causes extra problems, digital and analogue cables not long enough.

I have removed the glass doors from the tv cabinet and left the dvd player on top of the amp, this seems to have cooled things down quite a bit. at the moment i'm testing this by playing a dvd a couple of times then i will test if the player is cooler than before.

cheers

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I learnt a lesson with the first CD player I ever owned. I placed it directly on top of the amp in a midi hi-fi system (with the turntable on top of that). Although it was in an open space (on top of a sideboard, not inside a cabinet), the heat from the amp eventually dried the lubricant on the laser head spindle which meant that it couldn't glide freely without juddering. The result was therefore a new "skipping playback" feature! I have never put anything on top of an amp since.