DVD player not fully utilising 16:9 ratio of the EPSON EMP-TW10

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by kamion, Jul 21, 2004.

1. kamion

kamion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, is there a reason why playback on a PC seem to have more width and height than playback on a DVD player? I just got a Medion MD40814 DVD player and hooked it up to the Epson EMP-TW10 projector and the red boxed picture below is what I get. I'm not sure who's fault it is.
    The screen grab was done on my PC. As you can see, quite a LOT is missing!

Picture clip2.jpg

I tried changing all sorts of setups on the Medion as well as the projector but none of the combination of settings help.

I'm using the component video connection with the 3 cables.

When using the Medion player, I can't get the projector to go into full 16:9 on 'Normal'. The projector reports the input signal as 625p in the information display. When I set the DVD player to "WIDE", the picture fully covers the height of the projected image but still have the same two black bars runnig down each side. I have to set the projector to "Zoom" in order to get it to fully occupy the projected space.
    I'm kinda suspicious that the DVD player isn't outputting at 16:9 but rather 4:3 Letterboxed. Anyone got a Medion 40814 and another player to compare with?

When I tried with a PC at 1280x720 resolution, the projector went into full screen on 'Normal'. Maybe I should just use my PC connection as I can get the PC to output at resolution of 1280 x 720 which the projector translates to the full 854x480.

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I don't know your DVD player so can't help there but I would recommend using Powerstrip with your PC to output 854x480 so there is no scaling involved.

Jeff

3. PjPip

PjPip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    On the TW10H (so maybe the TW10 as well) you should have the PJ in squeeze mode for anamorphic DVDs (inc LOTR). I also noticed on my TW10H that a test card doesn't quite display out beyond 2.5% picture so there is a little loss anyway. Of course the clipping could also be in the DVD player.

4. kamion

kamion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RTFM, what's a Powerstrip? Edit: Oh, found it, is it the program by EnTech?

PjPip, what's a test card? :) Yes, I'm can't tell whether it's the DVD player's fault or the projector. All I know is that using a PC, it's possible to get the full projector display using 'Normal' aspect mode. So if you use 'Normal' on anamorphic DVDs, it doesn't fill up the pj display area?

Sorry, I'm very new to all this.

5. ducati

ducati

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    iots your dvd player mine works fine in true 16;9