1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD player music sound quality

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BertRacoon, Feb 28, 2005.

1. BertRacoon

BertRacoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Can someone explain how the different components of a typical home cinema system affects the quality of music that eventually comes out of the speakers?

I am thinking of buying a new DVD player and I am wondering how much difference the DVD player would make to the sound quality of CD audio.

I currently have an old Toshiba DVD player which I am thinking of replacing as it is a few years old and also it is extremly tall and I'm running out of space under my TV! I plug this into my Yamaha AX750SE amp and this feeds my Genie speakers.

If I connect up the DVD player with a coaxial or optical cable does any decoding of CD's get done on the DVD player or is it all done on the amp? If it is done on the amp does this mean as long as DVD player is semi decent the sound quality will be reasonable?

I am looking to spend around £100 on the DVD player as I don't know how long it will be before it is replaced with a blu-ray one. I am looking at the Toshiba SD340, the Pioneer DV 575 or the Limit DVDA900 (although it is maybe a bit large and hideous ;) ), any recommendations, how do people think this would fit with my kit? I would probably use it about 60% DVD movies and 40% CD audio, and I am hooking it up to a flatscreen CRT TV.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rob

2. Neil Fellows Hm

Neil Fellows Hm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could try the Samsung HD945 if you can stretch the budget a little (it's about £165) because it has DVD audio / Super Audio CD functions for maximum sound quality. I (think) the decoding can be done in either the player or the AMP, it's up to you. It's also very slimline so should fir under your TV easy. Take a look at Samsung.com. It also has HDMI!

3. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Limit is pretty well known to be the best for audio duties it seems on this forum unless you go way up in price , also well built alloy front heavy no point imho paying for a more expensive player ie untill you get to maybe £400 + save your pennies for the next generation of players ,Ive had the pioneer 575 and had a toshiba 240 that was only average at everything, the pioneer gave jaggies on my tv so had to go back ,one guy on here says his marantz 4500 is the best dvd player under £200 but i tried that and its not as well built as the Limit about the same as the light pioneer or toshiba imho ,and very cheap looking as well i thought so , the sound only ok and the picture only average ie too expensive for only so so performance ,and that is if you can find one but try it ,so you should get the Limit imho , :rotfl: or try some other players thats allways best i did ands the Limit is best for value build and sound by a mile but thats only my opinion abnett. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: