1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Player Limits Play Of MPEG2 Files

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Smasher, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Smasher

Smasher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Don't know if this in the right place but here goes.

Anyone able to shed any light on this:-

I have been recording satellite feeds onto the HDD of my PC. All works fine and can play back the MPEG2 files no problem. If I then burn this file to DVD and try to watch it in my DVD player it will only play the first 50 minutes of the file. This has proven very frustrating whilst trying to watch a movie of 1.5 - 2 hours long. All the file is there as I can watch it from the DVD on my PC with PowerDVD, etc. It's just the DVD player only see's the first 50 mins.
    The DVD player in question is a Yamaha DVDS540 which I otherwise have no problem with.

If I convert the file to VOB/IFO structure for full DVD compliance the DVD player plays it no problem - it's just I didn't really want to do this for every movie I record.

I could understand the DVD player not recognising the file at all, but to play the first 50mins only is really bugging me.

Anyone able to help?

Smasher

2. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    The files are too big, anything about 2gb is likely to cause problems. You need to either split the mpegs or carry on authoring them to VOB, authored DVD's split into 1gb chunks I suggest you do the same. Definitely stay below 2gb chunks.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Does sound reasonable that a DVD player would have trouble with files larger than 1gig since vob files max out around that figure and there must be a reason beyond easier navigation/searching.

Unless you have a really slow PC mastering a DVD from a dvd spec mpegII file isn't that time consuming and of course lets you include chapters and menus if required.