DVD player in my PC and Regions?

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by david park, Aug 21, 2006.

1. david park

david park

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope this is correct place.

Engineer been to my PC today and replaced the faulty DVD/CD drive, a Philips.
    It is now busy counting the num,ber of Region 1 and 2 DVDs I play, when I've played 5 of either which ever comes first it will set its self at that.

Can I stop this process or make it multi-region?

2. Big_Vern

Big_Vern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I found this on Microsoft's site:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/DVDregion.mspx

This seems to backup what you were saying although it does it via a registry key rather than on the drive itself.

In addition to this you can change the drive's firmware region setting and this you can only do 5 times.

I think there are various software tools around to make DVD drives region but didn't post any links here in case it broke the forum rules.

Regards

Big_Vern

3. Vonzack

Vonzack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I use some software called AnyDVD, which makes your drive and OS region free.

4. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Me too. Also DVDClone by the same company. Allows you to rip DVD's to your hard drive :smashin:

5. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    If you do a search online for the make and model of your drive, you may able to re-flash the firmware to make it multi-region. It will have the same effect as using background software but is permanent and more convenient.

6. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Only flash upgrade your DVD ROM drive if you have to or know what you're doing. Get it wrong and your fubar it permanently.

Check out DVD Region free + CCS. This is a nice piece of software that sits between your DVD drive and your DVD playback software and lies to them. It allow multi-region playback and disables macrovsion for those using projectors etc.

It also allow you to jump directly to the main menu on playback and avoid all the copyright jive and pervasive adds etc.

It will also assist you with DVD back up via software such as DVD Shrink (for legit use only :smashin: ).

It costs £20 but it's alifetime licence your buying.

http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm

XOD