1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD player improvements

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BertRacoon, Nov 17, 2004.

1. BertRacoon

BertRacoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I currently own a Toshiba SD200E which is just over 3 years old and was worth around £350 then and I am wondering whether a budget player such as the Toshiba SD340 would match or better it in terms of sound and picture quality now.

I have a decent widescreen CRT TV and a Yamaha AX750SE amp and MS Genie speakers, would something like the new Toshiba be suitable or should I be spending more?

It seems to have all the features and connections which my older player had (although the old one has gold plated connections if this makes a difference) but are the components in a budget player these days as good or better than a £350 player from 3 years ago?

Thanks for any advice

2. eternaldark

eternaldark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I just upgraded my toshiba sd-220e to the 340e as i've always been very happy with toshiba, and must say the difference in quality is noticeable, esp if using prog scan via component, lord of the rings looks amazing!, got it multiregion from amazon and played everything i threw at it, even rce discs!.

Well worth grabbing one in my opinion

3. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I, too, have the SD200E player and have been pondering its performance compared to newer models, Toshiba or otherwise.

In my opinion, if it is being used via a scart lead to a CRT tv (which mine is), there is very little to be gained in updating the SD200E. It produces an excellent picture, as all of the reviews at the time it was on sale reported. As the first reply notes, it may be out-performed by a newer player's PAL progressive scan output but that is irrelevant to the vast majority of CRT tv owners.

In terms of sound output, I think the general opinion is that the coaxial / optical digital output varies little from one dvd player to the next unless you get into the upper price bands in terms of players and receivers/amplifiers.

I shall not consider changing my SD200E until I upgrade the tv to plasma/LCD/projector which will benefit from the newer progressive scan etc options. There are also the new DVD formats that are on the horizon (Blu ray etc) that will bring their own crop of new players!

4. BertRacoon

BertRacoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for your replies. As stupid as this seems I am happy with my DVD player other than that since I got a new amp it won't fit under my TV anymore!

I am just after a shorter DVD player but I dont want to splash out more money only to have a DVD player which fits under my TV but is not as good!

If I can spend £90ish and have as good a quality DVD player that I dont have to wheel out everytime I want to watch something I would be happy with that.

So far I think that I will go for the SD340.

5. azz

azz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Go to Tesco extra

Tosh sd240 prog scan silver coax and op out £50

Multiregion via hand set hack

merry christmas

Azz

6. Ged