DVD player from the states.

jdslater1

Established Member
Reaction score
Going to the states in a couple of weeks and fancy buying a DVD player from there. I have bought a samung 950 for the HDMI and componant connections, but no matter how I set it up, I think it still looks bad (for example, when watching The Incredibles the edges on chairs would be very pixelly ).
I know if I bring one over the warrenty will be no good etc, but I was wondering if anyone here has an american DVD player shipped over and is happy with it enough to recommend it?
I have a Sammy SP50 and the DVD player would have to have HDMI and Componant connections.

Thanks.

A few people on here have ordered the Oppo dvd player from the states, directly from OppoDigital.com, with no ill effects so far, Oppo have even stated they would still honour the warranty if you cut off the American plug and replace with a UK plug

No there is no need to do that with the Oppo. Either use an adaptor or cut off and attach one that is suitable for your country.

Q: Does the OPDV971H support 240v? Why does the label on the back of the player states support only for 110v?
A: To be FCC compliant, the player is listed to support 110v/60hz on the back. However, the internal power supply in the 971H unit is fully compatible with 110~240v 50/60hz. In order for proper playback overseas, only an adapter is needed to change the plug from US standard to your country of residence.
See the FAQ in their website.
http://www.oppodigital.com/opdv971h_FAQ.htm

This sounds pretty good, I have just found a review of this player on DVDanswers. They gave it a major thumbs up to that player. Not a bad price either, I know this may a difficult question to answer but would you recommend thi sover the Samsung 950, in your opinion?

Have a read of the thread on the Oppo. There's lots and lots about it. It is an absolutely superb player for the price but there are a couple of areas that need a firmware fix...the digital output on DVI has a problem upscaling PAL that means it won't work with a small proportion of display devices. The other problem is with displaying subtitles in films that are mostly in English where someone comes on and speaks in another language. Both of these are being fixed by Oppo. The service from Oppo is fantastic and I think the majority of those who've bought them have found them to be multi region out of the box.

I found a thread on the AVSForum website that mentioned a few problems that were being fixed by oppo, by the way of a firmware upgrade. Do you have an oppo 971 player, siamese cat?

jdslater1 said:
I found a thread on the AVSForum website that mentioned a few problems that were being fixed by oppo, by the way of a firmware upgrade. Do you have an oppo 971 player, siamese cat?

Yes

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom