DVD player freezes due to low bitrate at copied DVD?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by loweherz, Nov 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loweherz

loweherz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Some time ago I bought a JVC XV-N5, a great stand alone player, except for one thing: some copied DVD's freeze in the last 15-20 minutes. I noticed that at that moment the variable bitrate drops below a certain Mbps level.

Apparently more people encountered this problem with their players, unfortunately I did not run into a solution.

The strange thing was that these 'not too well' copied DVD's are
    working fine on some more straightforward DVD players.

My guess as a 'newbie' is that the player has not got the capacity to either fill in (calculate) the missing bits, so it freezes the
    picture.

Could this have to do with the progressive scanning feature? And is there any way to turn this feature off, or get some extra processing power in? And why does it 'always' seem to freeze at the final (DVD player too warm?).

Please help.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    Could it be anything to do with the fact that it is woefully dishonest, playing, buying, making, using ripped off DVDs. No sympathy. You deserve everything you get.

Unless, of course, what you are watching is genuine, private home video footage. But the term "some copied DVD's" gives the game away.

3. loweherz

loweherz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, they are dishonest DVD copies. I admit, it was I, how was I to know, I was young, no money, down on my luck, I got confused, made a mistake, arghl... just a minute... the hurt...sigh....ok....people make mistakes...and buying a DVD for EUR 4 still beats one for DVD 30, but that a whole different discussion (which does not make it anymore 'less illegal').

I'm sure other people have encountered this problem,
    please help.

4. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,617
    You don't get any help to play pirate DVDs here. Closing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.