dvd player for sony 11ht lcd projector

T

todinks

hallo, could anyone suggest which dvd player would be best for use with a sony 11ht lcd projector
i'm not interested in dvd-audio or super audio cd; i just want a good dvd player which will make a perfect match for my projector
i'm currently using a pioneer dv-s737...should i upgrade?

I wouldn't waste money on a progressive scan player - the conversion on the 11Ht is better than most players. I have a Tosh SD510 & the pj's progressive scan conversion is much better.

But make sure you have a player with component out.

Fec

but then whats the use of progressive scan dvd players...?
and should i upgrade?

I use an Arcam DV27 FMJ with my VW11 which at £1,600 is quite expensive but it does offer true NTSC and PAL progressive output - it also utilises an audio delay to compensate for the de-interlacing process. The difference in picture is really significant and I can strongly recommend it.

I should however point out that it does suffer slightly with the dreaded chroma bug. You might want to consider the Arcam DV88+ which is about £999 and does PAL/NTSC progressive too. I've not scutinised the Arcam's NTSC progressive to the VW11's as they are both excellent. Get a demo at a local dealer first, but I think you will be impressed. If you have Star Trek Insurrection, watch the opening scene at the village in interlaced then progressive.

People are anticipating a number of PAL progressive players in the next few months though......

Originally posted by todinks
i'm not interested in dvd-audio or super audio cd; i just want a good dvd player which will make a perfect match for my projector

If interested in DVD-Audio try Denon DVD-3800.
If interested in SACD try Philips DVD-963SA.
If not interested in either... keep your Pioneer and forget about upgrading :D .

Originally posted by nigel_williams
I use an Arcam DV27 FMJ with my VW11 which at £1,600 is quite expensive but it does offer true NTSC and PAL progressive output - it also utilises an audio delay to compensate for the de-interlacing process. The difference in picture is really significant and I can strongly recommend it.

So Nige - is the PS on the arcam better than the 11HT - & if so in what way?

Just curious

Fec

For PAL definately....as the VW11 only does 3:2 pulldown NTSC.

Can't say I noticed much difference (if any) between the progressive outputs of NTSC from the Arcam versus the VW11 conversion. I only use the progressive component output of the Arcam as I don't want to be switching cables or settings every time I watch a film - both look fine to me but I'm sure some of the real experts could point out a few subtle differences.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom