1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd player for sony 11ht lcd projector

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by todinks, Oct 16, 2002.

1. todinks

todinks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hallo, could anyone suggest which dvd player would be best for use with a sony 11ht lcd projector
    i'm not interested in dvd-audio or super audio cd; i just want a good dvd player which will make a perfect match for my projector
    i'm currently using a pioneer dv-s737...should i upgrade?

2. Feccy35

Feccy35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't waste money on a progressive scan player - the conversion on the 11Ht is better than most players. I have a Tosh SD510 & the pj's progressive scan conversion is much better.

But make sure you have a player with component out.

Fec

3. todinks

todinks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but then whats the use of progressive scan dvd players...?
    and should i upgrade?

4. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I use an Arcam DV27 FMJ with my VW11 which at £1,600 is quite expensive but it does offer true NTSC and PAL progressive output - it also utilises an audio delay to compensate for the de-interlacing process. The difference in picture is really significant and I can strongly recommend it.

I should however point out that it does suffer slightly with the dreaded chroma bug. You might want to consider the Arcam DV88+ which is about £999 and does PAL/NTSC progressive too. I've not scutinised the Arcam's NTSC progressive to the VW11's as they are both excellent. Get a demo at a local dealer first, but I think you will be impressed. If you have Star Trek Insurrection, watch the opening scene at the village in interlaced then progressive.

People are anticipating a number of PAL progressive players in the next few months though......

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

If interested in DVD-Audio try Denon DVD-3800.
    If interested in SACD try Philips DVD-963SA.
    If not interested in either... keep your Pioneer and forget about upgrading :D .

6. Feccy35

Feccy35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So Nige - is the PS on the arcam better than the 11HT - & if so in what way?

Just curious

Fec

7. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    For PAL definately....as the VW11 only does 3:2 pulldown NTSC.

Can't say I noticed much difference (if any) between the progressive outputs of NTSC from the Arcam versus the VW11 conversion. I only use the progressive component output of the Arcam as I don't want to be switching cables or settings every time I watch a film - both look fine to me but I'm sure some of the real experts could point out a few subtle differences.