DVD Player for Panasonic PW7 plasma

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rasczak, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Can anyone recommend a sub-£1000 player to pair with a Panasonic PW7 plasma? Connections on the Plasma are Component and HDMI - however the latter is supposedly quite poor so I'm looking for a model which a strong performer on component output (with HDMI as a nice to have):
    - Denon 3910
    - Arcam DV79

Features such as CD playback, DVD-Audio and SACD are largely irrelevant as the unit will be used for DVD playback 99.5% of the time. I'm leaning towards the Denon as that was the machine I used as my source prior to selecting the PW7.

Any other DVD players that should be on my trials shortlist? I've ruled out the Denon A1 as the plasma is only standard def and effectively a budget model so there would be little benefit from such a high end player. And I've ruled out the Pioneer 868 due to weak component performance. Anything else promising on the immediate horizon?

And finally can anyone recommend stockists which sell the Arcam range?

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    THe Denon is a very strong performer (we have one as a referance unit) and for you DVD prevalent needs might prove to be a very strong contender. It must be said the finest component performers that I have seen have been the Primare units but they are expensive and have no digital video outs at all (although vga is supported).

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    denon 2900 MK2 used for my mega test was very very nice on the panny via component but Arcam DV89 for £600 is too cheap to pass up mate (£400 left over covers ISF very very nicely) unless you want silver...........

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    This Thread recommends the Arcam DV27 as a great player via component. As stated in there, you can find an exdemo DV27 for about £1000 if you look around. All Arcam DV27's will be sold with a 5 year Arcam warrenty even if they are exdemo rather than new.

Mark.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Thanks for the info guys - I'll add these to my lists of units to view.