1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD player for my Pio 434...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Munkey Boy, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    I've been reading past posts on this subject, but can't really seem to come to a definitive answer so far, so here goes...

Have finally decided to take the plunge for a plasma after the Pioneer 434 rave reviews, but am now aware I should get an improved DVD player to partner it.

I was originally looking at the harman/kardon DVD 25 (£350ish) as it was the cheapest with decent PAL Progressive, but am now hearing about HDMI players becoming available.

So here's my questions:
    - is it worth paying the extra £120 for the step up from the h/k 25 to the Pioneer 668 (about £470)?
    - is it not worth bothering with the upgrade unless I stepped up to the 868 instead? (though I'd find it hard to justify £800 for a DVD player to the missus)
    - where is best to buy such a package? Is there such a thing as a Pioneer bundle deal when you get the player with the screen?
    - is it easy to pick up the HDMI cables now? (have read several posts on lack of availability)

TIA for any replies

2. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having seen the new 434 I am unimpressed with its image quality.
    I was expecting great things, but the amount of "noise" in the background (particuarly on blacks) is considerable.
    Its a pity the Panasonic 42" isn't a higher resolution.

3. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Thanks for your comeback, but I thought virtually all plasmas suffered from this noise problem, due to technical limitations of the technology, but had heard the Pioneer 434 had minimised the problems somewhat. Would the Panasonic TH42PW6B be an improvement then, taking into account the lower resolution?

4. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Lorenzini
    There will always be some difference to peoples taste but I would strongly recommend to test the screens for yourself. Personally,
    I fully disagree and simply find Captain chaos statement totally wrong. I bought a 434 precisely for the opposite reason. It has far less noise with all types of video sources on top of DVD.

If you go for the 434 the 868 or 668 Pioneer DVD player is worth since you will be able to uitilise the HDMU input.

5. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Costas,

How about using Momitsu v880 or Samsung HD935 instead of 868 would give you the same PQ as 868? Well the HDMI input will still be used with the cheaper dvd players right?

Just ordered my DVI-HDMI cable from US cost me almost US$75 inluding shipping just to use one of the above mentioned dvd players.

Cheers

6. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Arshad,

Although I have not been able to test a DVI/HDMI connection against a HDMI/HDMI connection I believe PQ will be extremely good on both with very little difference if any.

7. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    re. background/pixel noise:

After having watched many many plsmas on display in many shops I also decided to buy the Pio 434 a.o. because it had the least noise. And imagine my surprise as I got it delivered and connected and couldn't believe my eyes. Excellent noise free picture with acceptable quality sources. I still have a smile in my face when I watch the clear blue sky in the background with virtually NO noise...

Whatever you will take, it will be much better in your home.