DVD Player for Mothers day

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Machine Head, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being a dutiful son, I have decided to get a DVD player for me mam for mothers day. I have £60 to spend and would like one that plays dvd-r discs. I was gonna get the Pacific 750 from Asda but have heard it's not too reliable. Anybody got any ideas of what make to get and where from?

Cheers.

2. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'd go for an acoustic solutions 321 from richer sounds. Its £49 or £59 multiregion (just in budget :)).

Now, while it seems that you are paying an extra £10 for a sheet of paper with a handset hack you can easily get from the net, I would still advise buying the multiregion version. There seems to be two lots of firmware versions going about, and some people who have bought the standard 321 have found that the multiregion codes don't work.

Its easily hackable through the handset to remove cgms and macrovision and will play dvd-r (althought dvd-r made on my e30 are sometimes a bit jumpy on it(dvd-r from any pc burner play 100% perfect-I think it was the media I used but be warned-they where riteks as well! whereas yellow tops have been ok).

They state it doesn't play vcd, but this is only because vcd playback ability has been switched off so they can justify the extra cost of the 421 which is basically the same except it has a lcd display. But it does indeed play vcd with a simple code entered with the remote (Ive all the codes if you end up needing them). It also plays mp3. Bargain!

O.k picture quality isn't great (no where near the tosh 220), but you cant expect it to be much in a £59 player.

If you can stretch your budget a little to £79.99 the Limit DVD8070 SILVER (Multi-region) is excellent. Far better picture quality and plays dvd-r PERFECT EVERYTIME. vcd playback not as good though but still ok(321 is particularly good with vcd).

3. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got the cyberhome adl528 from richer (for a friends mother) for the what hi-fi price £59.99 (it's £99.99 in the window) it plays every thing he's tried in it and seems a solid bargain.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    have a look at this APEX great little player, bought one for my girlfriend, free MR mod and scores well on cuteness, remote has some odditys namley a SHIFT function for the cursor

5. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    My God you're mean:devil: :D :D Only £60!! My mammy will be getting €555 worth of 28in WS TV and Nicam Video for Mothers Day! The thing is though, her 30th Wedding Anniversary is the day before and her birthday is the day after. Oh and my three siblings are paying their share...............So thats €137 each divided by three 'Special Days' = €45.80 (STG£31.58) each per 'special day'.

Oh Dear. Sorry mate, My mistake. It looks like I'm the mean sod!!:suicide: :eek: :D :D

6. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.......especially calibos........almost as funny as seeing man u get beat.