DVD Player for Loewe TV

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Antpink, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Have a Loewe Vitros 32" WS TV and a Phillips Q50 DVD player. Have been thinking of upgrading for some time, and now that the old faithful has begun to show signs of age - refusing to play some DVD's and locking up occasionally. Also, I need an excuse :D .... So, knowing that the Loewe TV's do their own internal processing, and do not accept PScan (I tried this with the Phillips, ended up with strange colour renditions and odd lines across the picture), I was wondering which DVD player I should invest in to be able to give best PQ without PScan. Ideally, I'd like to go for something that does SACD and DVDA, 'cos I'd like to try these formats out. I have thought long and hard about the Marantz DV6400 (or the replacement 6500 due soon), they would match the new amp rather well, but would like to hear if anyone is using either 2910, 575, or other options via a non-PS display. As the Loewe does its own internal processing of the picture, I guess I'm looking for something that is very good at extracting the raw picture data from the disc to give the display the best starting point.

Suggestions about 2nd hand and ebay will fall on deaf ears, unfortunately, as I am not in the UK.

Any opinions, experience etc will be very well received. Thanks in advance.

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Before you make a decision, give the progressive scan a second try with your current just for a test. I have a recent Loewe TV and whilst communicating with a chappie in America, he said that their versions of the TV's handle progressive in a slightly odd manner. I will quote him here:

Re-reading this, you are probably right that the use of a progressive player is redundant. But you may find something pertinent in it. With the latter sets (2550 chassis), or possibly just the European models, you seem to get more control over the component input, allowing SD, HD or progressive and RGB, Ypp or Ycc.

Regarding SACD and DVD-A, you need to realise that these may be of a limited life expectancy. DVD-A is likely to prevail, albeit complemented with HD-DVD material since MLP is an inherrent part of the HD-DVD standard, but rumours are that Sony are imminently going to pull the plug on their DSD based SACD format and concentrate their efforts on the incompatible (with SACD) PCM formats used by the blu-ray standard. Just something to be aware of before investing in potentially short lived formats.

Other than that, I am sure that there are may offerings to choose from.

-Ian

3. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +364
    Antpink - think I can help you here

I have a Loewe Vitros (2400 chassis) - and have played around with RGB, S-Video, Component etc.

All the Loewes 2400, 2500 Chassis - can only take a progressive scan input via the optional VGA card - and even then its a pain in the neck to install and not worth it (problems with resolutions etc)

What confuses the matter slightly is that the Loewe will display any 60 Hz NTSC material in progressive scan - ie it takes in the interlaced NTSC and displays it as Progressive 60Hz - not ideal - but better than nothing.

I first had a Pioneer 656 - and via Component (component on DVD player to Scart on AV-3 of Loewe using a QED AV29 cable) - and colours looked washed out compared with RGB - very odd.

I gave up and stuck with RGB. I then recently bought a Pioneer 575 - and although initially I was not convinced with the build quality - the picture quality through component on the Loewe is superb. No washed out colours etc - and looks better than RGB.

So in my opinion - get yourself a bargain Pioneer 575 - use Component and i'm sure you'll be more than pleased with the results - I haven't seen a TV beat that combination yet :)

One interesting factor with using Component - is that if I select DMM using any other input, S-Video, RGB etc- I get artefacts on vertical edges when panning - not with component - no artefacts at all - almost like its going through one less processing step.

Hope this is of help, all the best, Mark.

4. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Ian/Mark,
    Thanks for the replies. This weekend I will play with the prog scan one more time to see if I missed something. I am already connected to either AV2 or 3, which allows me to select Ycc, and am feeding component interlaced into it at the moment. I'll take a look around to see how much the 575 is here in Singapore, although they seem to use different model numbers over here, so I may have to do some research to make sure all is the same under the hood. We'll see......
    Thanks again
    Anthony

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Do you get the ability to set Auto, SD, HD or Prog for the input? The picture difference between auto and prog (even for interlaced source) is huge. This is on a 2550 chassis as used on the new Xelos SL models.

Good luck

-Ian

6. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    To be honest, I am not sure. I will have to check when I get home at the weekend. I think that I did not get the option of prog input, but no harm in looking.
    Thanks