Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

DVD player for HS20

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ali K, May 27, 2004.

1. Ali K

Ali K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease:

Can anyone help?

All fellow HS20 owners!!!

I have had the HS 20 which I am currently running off S-video from a Sony HTIB, since I work abroad, I bought the projector and a 40' DVI cable during my last break in the US. I am now looking to buy a proper surround system and am set on the KEF KHT 2005.2/Yamaha 1400 combo, I am however completely lost as to which DVD player I should go for (I frequently travel between US, UK and the Middle East)?

Samsung 841: DVI+DVD-A+SACD+Region Free.... (Feel free to add)
    Possibly poor PQ (935/1 BTB problem?)....
    Samsung 941: Faroudja+All the above+768P
    HDMI/DVI problem?.....
    Bravo D2: Good PQ, Custom resolution,
    R1 only (haven't found any hacks:( ), Build quality issues?
    Zenith DV318 and LG twins: Zoom, good PQ over component, Region Free
    WTW (White Crush) over DVI (This was supposed to have been fixed with a firmware update any news?)

I haven't been able to find much on the DD/DTS quality from any of the above so your contributions will be greatly appreciated but I gues the important part is getting good PQ over DVI/HDMI. I haven't looked at more expensive items such as the Pioneer 868i/DV57i mainly due to the reported DVI-HDMI issue, as imho less than perfect PQ is acceptable in the 200-300 quid
    range but if you are paying over 500 then everything should be as close to perfect as possible.

Your response will be greatly appreciated, I am sure there are others out there wishing to take advantage of the HS20s digital inputs and high res capabilities to get the best possible DVD playback.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    if it were my cash, id look towards the samsung 941..... picture im sure is great as this has been reported numerous times elsewhere and sound wise, i think samsung is likely to be the best of a not too special bunch. It will depend of course on the quality of amp and speakers you use as to whether it would matter.

All the best

ad

3. Ali K

Ali K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am torn between the 941 and the Momitsu. The 941 looks very good, but am worried about the HDMI/DVI colour headroom toeroom issue.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so what pus you off the momitsu? have you thought about the yakamawa one?

5. Ali K

Ali K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest, slight ly worried about bugs, picky loader etc. But it seems most of the problems have been ironed out now. Also a touch worried about the DVI length.

Not much, from what I gather it is broadly similar to the Momitsu and since I travel frequently to the US I could pick one up for about 150 quid, so it's really that over the Yamakawa.

I was wondering if you knew anything on the differences between HDMI and DVI lengths when it comes to cable lengths. I seems HDMI was designed with longer runs in mind. Is that a matter of cable design parameters or transmitter specifications. If the latter, then the 941 with an adaptor might be the choice.

6. gjc-ortho

gjc-ortho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    I'm using the Yamakawa 365, purchased from Germany over the net and delivered in less than 5 days :)

Got it set up with DVI to the HS10 and the PQ is out of this world; also able to set it up using custom settings to get the fabled 1:1 pixel matching. No problems with DIVX or XVID and plays MP3 straight off the disc.

I'm very impressed with this machine, cost £119 delivered; probably worth a thought.

Cheers all

7. Ali K

Ali K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, three questions:

Where did u get yours from?

What about the bugs/issues some have discussed?

and how is the sound quality?

(I was slightly worried about this issue, but as buns said the Samsung might be better in this respect, especially as it is DVD-A SACD capable)

8. gjc-ortho

gjc-ortho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Sorry for the delay Ali K. I've personally had no prblems with this at all, works with all my region 1 and 2s.

Got it direct from Germany from www.computeruniverse.net; great service and e-mail replys are in perfect English, far better than I use.

I too was concerned about the sound quality but I assume that you don't plan to use this as your primary CD player. I've used a toshiba 3109, a marantz 4100OSE and am currently using a Tosh RDXS 30 and for DD/DTS I can't tell the difference IMHO.

It's very good value for money, however, as others have said on this forum, the build quality could only really be described as "functional".

Cheers all

9. maciek

maciek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

New to the forum - here's my $0.02:
    I've had the HS 20 hooked up to my Samsung 841 with a 4-meter DVI cable. (I'm using a cheapo screen for now while trying to decide between Stewart and Draper.) The image looks great on all settings (480p, 720p, and 1080i.) I used various scenes from Star Wars, Episode II for comparison, some of the CG-intensive ones (Coruscant skyline, etc.), and some with close-ups of people. The 720p and 1080i seem to make the image look a bit darker, but are noticeably nicer than the 480p setting. (I haven't played around with the brightness/color adjustments yet since I don't have my permanent screen yet, though, so I'm sure the darkness issue can be addressed easily.) I can't see a difference between the 720p and the 1080i setting. I need to eventually run a 15-or-so meter DVI cable, and found a site that advertises a 50ft cable ($200) that doesn't need a repeater:
    http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI_cables.html
    I'll probably try it and see how it looks. If the image quality will be noticeably worse than with the shorter cable (e.g., color-snow artifacts), or if I can't get one at all, I'll buy the repeater. It's a bit pricy, but probably well worth it at that point ($249). They offer one through the same site:
    http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI_repeater.html

BTW: I ordered the 941 on amazon today ($349). Should get it in a few days! :)

Cheers,
    M

10. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    GJC Ortho-

Finally someone who got this to work!! :clap:

Would you be so kind as to publish your settings for 1:1 pixel mapping?Or let us know where you got the info

Been trying for ages to get mine to work this way!

Also what firmware are you using?

BTW, sorry if this is off topic but I'm sure the settings will be the same for the HS10 and 20