1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Player for AE100

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by David Rasmussen, Apr 19, 2004.

1. David Rasmussen

David Rasmussen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to give use the potential of my AE100 better.

What dvd player should I buy?

I know that going the HTPC way would probably be best, but how much worse would the progressive picture from, say, Sony DVP-NS 730 be?

It seems that the Yamakawa 365 would be ideal as it seems to have 1:1 mapping capabilities, because you can control it's resolution in detail. But it has problems with deinterlacing PAL discs because it blindly trusts the often wrongly set progressive flag of PAL dvds.

Are there other alternatives?

/David

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    You can get nice pal/ntsc progressive players from £37.99 upwards. The question of which to buy is more to do with what you will be viewing and what other features you need.

The Sony you mention is probably ideal for you. I wouldn't want one myself though. Only because Sony have a track record of not being that great with other media and frankly some sony drives have been known to be unreliable readers.

What are you currently using with the AE100?

3. David Rasmussen

David Rasmussen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I understand it, progressive isn't just progressive. Many cheap (and not so cheap) players with progressive out does a poor job deinterlacing. One not so cheap example is Samsung HD935.

The Sony is supposedly on par with the Philips 963SA with regards to deinterlacing and general picture quality. But I was wondering whether something cheaper and equally good existed. Also, I was wondering how much the difference from, say, the Sony to HTPC is for this projector. I guess bypassing both the scaler and the deinterlacer of the AE100 is a good idea. Maybe I'll just have to see for myself.

/David

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I've tried loads of different players on my AE100. Admittingly all the players I've tried have been fairly low end. The Panasonic SE75 and Kiss DP-450 I suppose being the most expensive models. I've also had a Toshiba 330 and many chinese brand cheapies. They have been compared in quality though to a HTPC which surely represents the ultimate picture quality with 1:1 pixel mapping. It seems to me that every dvd chipset has something going for it. I've tried players based on zoran, mediatek, sunplus, ess, sigma and probably a few others.

The nearest I have found to HTPC quality is the kiss player. It has the ability to use both component and vga adaptor cables and its 1024x768 VGA image is superb but unfortunately doesn't work with macrovision protected dvds so I have to use progressive component out but either way it outperforms any other player I've tried for picture quality. This is a recent development though as earlier Kiss firmwares weren't as good but it really looks like they've mastered it now. The player is just about the most powerful dvd player out there with a 200mhz arm processor and mpeg decoding engine, hence perhaps the reason it can get close to a htpc. The Panasonic SE75 while excellent and highly regarded for its progressive ntsc picture seems to me not noticably better than some of the cheaper progressive dvd players. In fact it doesn't have pal progressie so is worse for that. I suppose though in fairness the AE100 is not state of the art with regard projector resolution and maybe doesn't merit a top end player.

The highly regarded Toshiba 330 has an excellent picture on normal tvs but magnifed up to projector screen size I wasn't that impressed. Worst was its ability with fairly low bitrate dvds which it didn't do well. Plus the dvd drive mechanism wasn't robust or particularly compatible.