DVD player fault - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dune, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Dune

Dune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My Toshiba SD 220 DVD player has suddenly started to refuse to recognise any DVD.

At first I thought it was the rented DVD I was trying to play that was the problem but that played fine in two different PC's.

I then tried known good discs that I own and the same thing happened. It claims there is a disc error each time I try and play a disc.

Insert a disc and it says "loading" but then there are several clicks from the mechanism, a whirring sound as if it is trying to fiind the start of the disc. This is repeated several times before an error message is displayed on the screen saying check the disc.

Has anyone had this sort of problem before?

Dave

2. lukassk

lukassk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well I had similar problem but with my PC DVD, there are two possibilities:
    1. Your laser needs calibration, depends on value of the player it might be not worth it.
    2. Laser needs to be cleaned, you can try all those cleaning disks
    It happened once with my Playstation 2 too, drive was not picking up any dvds but was playing cd, check in your player if it is like that your laser is probably gone
    Hope that helps
    Lucas

3. expat

expat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    The same kind of thing happened with my first DVD player (from Philips). This was about two months after the guarantee expired. Cleaning didn't help in my case. Repairs would have been more than the cost of a new player...

4. Dune

Dune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Right, thanks for the replies. I'll try a cleaner disc but I can see a trip to the local Richer Sounds on the horizon :mad:

It isn't that old and I can't say it has seen heavy use.

Dave