DVD Player Dilemma

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sneaky, Jun 3, 2004.

1. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been waiting for the Denon 2900 to come down to a reasonable price and you can now get it for £550.

But because of my impatience I have been looking around the forums and I am now wondering if I really need the Denon or can I get the same sort of quality from the HK 2550/25 or even the Cambridge Audio 504d - both at £250.

I have a Sony HS20 projecting onto a 5.5 ft across screen, Castle Compact speakers and I am also looking at a new receiver - choices are Denon 3805, Denon 3803, Yamaha 1400.

Sound quality is important to me but I am not an audiophile and not really interested in listening to music - movies are my thing and picture quality needs to be excellent. Do the 2 mentioned above come anywhere near the 2900 IN SOUND AND VISION or am I best sticking with my original choice.

2. drbreadhead

drbreadhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about the alternatives - I tried a Cambridge Audio DV59 which is 1 model below the 504 (I think) and the sound quality was poor (I tested it against an old £150 Sherwood CD player with "out of the box" connectors but used nice connectors for the DV59. The CD player had a much better bass and equalled the DV59 for top end clarity.)

I took the DV59 back and bought a Denon 2900 instead - cost a lot more but the sound is amazing. I'm a musician and do a fair amount of recording and therefore am fairly picky about sound quality - I wanted a player that would play CDs and DVDs so that I could get rid of my old Grundig DVD player that has served me well but is crap with CDs.

I can honestly say that the CD playback quality is better than my old CD player - the bass is much tighter and the treble more detailed. My own CD recordings sound like the original 24bit masters.

As for movie sound, it whoops my old DVD player. The sword fights in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon sound as if they're scarily in your face. The deep rumblings in Return of the King sound awesome at 1/4 volume.

As for the picture quality - I'm having a problem with my TV not accepting RGB SCART signals (it doesn't have component inputs) - but with the normal SCART input it's sharp and clear.

Hope this helps as I'm more of an experienced audiophile than a movie watcher at the moment.

3. pjohn

pjohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sneaky
    I been thinking of buying the 2900 could you tell me where you seen it for £550 .

Thanks pjohn

4. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0