1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Player dead 1 month outside Guarante

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stealther, Apr 1, 2004.

1. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Hi guys I need some help my panasonic dvd player has died on me 1 month past the 5 year guarante. I had planned on buying something special for my next dvd player but then I was not thinking of replacing it for a year or two. Iam not to bitter because Ive used it everyday for five years now The problem is I have very little funds £150 - £200 absolute tops as Ive just been on holiday and Iam buying my first house in June.

can anyone give me some advice I usually buy Panasonic cause i find them to be of excellant quality Ive also been impressed by my pioneer reciever but Iam not adverse to considering other makes. I would like to replace as soon as possible below is a list of features i need.

1. Multi region I have more than 200 Region 1s so this is a must
    2. Digital outs prefer optical as i have optical cable already
    3. Audio outs as i use it as my cd player as well

Its been so long since Ive looked at DVD technology i dont know where to start anymore!
    Advice Please

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sony 730 is a nice, cheap (£150 or less) unit but gives NTSC & PAL progressive with a coax and optical output .. I had one feeding a Z2 pj and it worked well on R1 and R2, though I never tried an R1 RCE disk AFAICR.

3. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Richersounds usually are unbeatable in terms of Japanese branded base dvd players.

RS

Yamaha DV-S540 for £99, multi-reg, s-video, scart, good ntsc&pal prog scan via component, coax & optical, analogues out, mp3 playback, jpeg, plays dvd -/+ r/rw's, very very good picture and sound.

Toshiba SD-330 for only £68, also being replaced by the 340 late spring, but still extremely good picture and sound with s-video, scart, component in, coax & optical, analogue outs, mp3 & wma playbacks.

Pioneer DV-360 for only £63, came out last year and should be replaced late summer, but still very good with s-video, scart, coax & optical, analogues out, mp3 & wma playback, jpegs, and can play dvd-r/dvd-rw's, very good picture and sound.

If you don't need progressive scan function and have no intention to go that route in the future, and you want a basic big brand player that has good picture, sound and connections and plays original dvd disks, I would definitely go for the Toshiba.

Wasabi

4. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    The Pioneer DV565 is a good buy for under £200.

6. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Cheers for the advice Ive started to narrow it down so far Ive looked in more detail at

SONY DVP-NS730 £150
    DENON DVD700 £130
    PANASONIC DVDF65 £140
    PIONEER DV565 £152
    PANASONIC DVDS75 £130

Is there anyway of finding out which has the best sound and picture or will the difference be un noticable with my current equipment? I am using a Panasonic Quintrix 28" and a Pioneer 7.1 Reciever with Wharfdale Diamond speakers

Out of the models above I like them for different reasons:
    The Denon 700 because of the buffer memory feature.
    The Panny F65 because it has 5 discs (Hey so Iam a lazy bastard )
    The Pioneer and Sony because it plays + and - R/RW
    Thanks again:)