1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD player + DAC for 2.0 or dedicated CD player?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by music1st, Sep 9, 2005.

1. music1st

music1st

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Folks,

I really like the Cyrus sound and I'm thinking of going all out and getting a 5.1 system that's good (if not better) at 2.0. I'm thinking a CD8x plus DAC-XP into two Mono X, and then link the left and right from and AV8 into the DAC-XP to give 5.1. Question is, do I really need a seperate CD player or will the DVD8 into the DAC-XP sound just as good? I'm guessing not :confused:

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Depends what you're planning on spending on a CD player. I would say unless it's a lot the difference will be so small you won't be able to tell. The transports in most CD players under £1000 are pretty much identical anyway.

3. music1st

music1st

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The CD8x is £1000. The DVD8 is £1200. The DAC-XP is £2400...

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Music1st,
    I used to use a CHORD DAC64 with an Exposure Classic XXII CDP as a second system. To cut a long story short the Classic went and a £100 (At the time) DVD player stayed in it's place. Honestly couldn't tell the difference.
    It's certainly worth a try, can you arrange to 'borrow' the CD8X?

5. music1st

music1st

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In that case I think I'll get the DVD8, DAC-XP, AV8 to start and then see about borrowing the CD8x in a few months.

Cheers,
    Dave

6. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Sorry, but I can't stop thinking about what a HUGE sum of money that is. The DAC-XP particularly so :eek:

There are equivalently capable dacs (e.g. Tri-vista @ £750) and pre-amps (EE minimax @ £700) that would outperform it, for around half the cost. :rolleyes:

Is the DVD8 really better than a Pioneer 868 (£600 these days)??

Just wondering about the VFM side of things here :rolleyes:

DT

7. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I agree with Dynamic Turtle, The DVD8 will look good, but hell it's going into a DAC so it doesn't really matter a £80 Pioneer 565/575 would probably sound very, very similar so close in fact a lot of people couldn't hear any difference.

Is it worth getting a DVD player that has HDMI built in for future screen upgrades etc... It does seem on the face of it you can get a hell of a lot more DVD player for half the price if you shop around even the new Marantz at around £5-600 looks pretty good.

8. music1st

music1st

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the good news is I did the DVD8 to CD8 comparison yesterday. The bad news is I now own both :( Whilst the DVD8 was good, the CD8 was a lot more musical. Should arrive next week :thumbsup:

9. stebbo

stebbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The transports in ALL CD players irrespective of price are virtually the same. There are so few manufacturers these days.

10. nirmal

nirmal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are buying a DAC and are not too bothered with appearance, try the Benchmark DAC1. It wont be available at your local hi-fi store. Try advanced sounds of dorset; you'll get an excellent price from them. I got mine 6 months back for less than £700 (excluding VAT), and I wont be changing it for many years to come - it's that good. The DAC1 is right there with the very best that money can buy. Not my opinion alone, but also those of many mastering engineers, musicians and studio owners around the world (check the website). It is also very jitter resistant, and would tolerate cheap transports better than most.

It really is something exceptional. It would cost an arm and a leg if it was marketed mainly for consumer use.

Cheers,
    Nirmal :)

11. nirmal

nirmal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not exactly! But you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between many. There are still a few made for high end audio use, where the extra money has been spent on superior parts, such as brushless motors, glass instead of plastic in the optics, better laser-control servos, pre-amps in the laser reading electronics, mechanical isolation etc. Most mainstream manufacturers use cheaper generic mechanisms (pc/dvd/cd) to keep costs low, and/or increase profit margins.
    The more expensive mechanisms are used in the very high end players and players designed for use in demanding conditions.
    Potential benefits of using better mechanisms include longer lifespan for the mechanism, ability to read poor quality discs, less errors in the data (therefore less correction required) and a better digital output signal from the mechanism.
    Playing a good quality CD in a quiet room, without the player being bumped around, it would be very difficult to tell any difference (as long as the electronics are good). However, you have the satisfaction of knowing that with a better mechanism there are less errors being presented to the electronics by the mechanism, and that it wont let you down in less than ideal circumstances. If you think it is worth paying more for, go for it.
    Remember, it is not impossible to get a high quality mechanism in a low cost player or transport. Just do your research thoroughly.

Cheers,

12. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Only a few companies are actually lisenced to build with the truely high end transports. Stuff you will never see in mainstream.

13. nirmal

nirmal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very rare, but not impossible to get hold of. You can get very good transports at resonable prices if you look far enough and hard enough.
    As far as Phillips mechanisms go, the CD PRO2 ( VAM1254/21 mechanism) is the best consumer CD module they produce. Phillips are very picky about whom they licence the use of these modules to, hence you see them only on very expensive players or in self assembled kits. To my knowledge, they are sold only as modules and not as mechanisms alone. The difference between a mechanism and a module is that for a mechanism to work in a player, the 'servo-decoding section has to be developed, including hardware and software to control the optical pick-up unit'. This requires 'serious knowledge in optical data retrieving to manufacture a complete CD player around a bare mechanism'. Very few manufacturers have this expertise inhouse, and most find it more economically feasible to buy cheaper modules.
    The VAM 1250 is an industrial grade high quality mechanism manufactured by Phillips. A few companies use these in their high end players and it is used for pro CD players that are used in exceptionally demanding environments. The use of these mechanisms requires expertise in optical data conversion, with substantial development costs, hence their rarity.
    If you want a transport with a good mechanism at midrange prices, look for a pro-CD player with the VAM 1250 mechanism. Afterall, if is good enough for Naim's flagship CD S3 and some of Burmester's CD players, it must be pretty good.

Cheers,

14. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
  15. nirmal

nirmal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently it uses the JVC xrCD transport, which is used in the JVC studios alone. This info is from the 6moons review :thumbsdow . If you say it is good, then it must be one of the very few times that anything truthful has been said in one of their reviews. They ought to give themselves a blue moon award for that :D ! They are on randi.org for not backing up what they say http://www.randi.org/jr/081205another.html
    You have to scroll down quite a bit to the super tweeter paragraph. Worth it! Hilarious :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    My apologies to 6moon fans, and to everyone else for repeating it, if it has been posted elsewhere.

Cheers,
    Nirmal :thumbsup:

16. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Yes, take the 6moons reviews with a pinch of salt. Thing is this one's been getting good reviews all over. It is good. Very good in fact. If it wasn't so big and ugly I'd buy one!
    Must get one of the tweeters for my dog......