DVD player compatible with Bose Soundbar

p2rae

Novice Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me which Blu-Ray DVD players are compatible with a Bose SoundTouch 300 sound bar. I have a Samsung LED TV and DVD player (bought together six or more years ago as a home theatre system). I have ditched the Samsung speakers and bought the sound bar. But every time I want to play a DVD, I have to go into the Settings menu on the Samsung and toggle my way through the menus to switch manually to "HDMI on" before I can play sound through the Bose. Samsung tells me that's the way it is - no way to change the default setting so that "HDMI on" is on all the time. Is there an alternative Blu-Ray player out there that would connect seamlessly to the Bose? It's too fiddly as it stands.

Can anyone tell me which Blu-Ray DVD players are compatible with a Bose SoundTouch 300 sound bar. I have a Samsung LED TV and DVD player (bought together six or more years ago as a home theatre system). I have ditched the Samsung speakers and bought the sound bar. But every time I want to play a DVD, I have to go into the Settings menu on the Samsung and toggle my way through the menus to switch manually to "HDMI on" before I can play sound through the Bose. Samsung tells me that's the way it is - no way to change the default setting so that "HDMI on" is on all the time. Is there an alternative Blu-Ray player out there that would connect seamlessly to the Bose? It's too fiddly as it stands.
Are you connecting Player--->TV--->Bose
Do you have the same problem with Player--->Bose--->TV

The Bose has HDMI in and HDMI out (arc) so theoretically could go in the middle of the chain like an AVR as it does HDMI and 4K passthough.

Last edited:
Player to TV to Bose. Haven't tried player to Bose to TV. I'm not sure that the optical connection from TV to Bose will carry a video signal (I'm no techie!), nor that the video signal will work via the Bose. Had to use optical link because HDMI cable was causing the TV to shut down after 10 minutes! But I'll give it a whirl and let you know.

Player to TV to Bose. Haven't tried player to Bose to TV. I'm not sure that the optical connection from TV to Bose will carry a video signal (I'm no techie!), nor that the video signal will work via the Bose. Had to use optical link because HDMI cable was causing the TV to shut down after 10 minutes! But I'll give it a whirl and let you know.
In that case you want to use a HDMI cable Player--->Bose IN and another HDMI cable Bose OUT --->TV. This will pass video and audio to the Bose and the Bose should then pass video to the TV and output the audio from the player.

If you still have TV shutdown problem with HDMI connection try disabling ARC and use optical connection TV--->Bose to get sound coming from TV playing on the Bose.

HDMI Player--->Bose IN/Bose OUT--->TV (sound from Player)
HDMI ARC TV IN---> HDMI Bose OUT (sound from TV automatically if ARC working)
or
Optical TV--->Bose (sound from TV, if ARC not working properly)

May help to say what TV and DVD player you have.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, but I tried what you suggested and the problem is still the same. I still have to switch the DVD sound on manually each time. Other suggestions welcome! I'm happy to buy a new DVD player if there are any that work more seamlessly with Bose.

Thanks for the advice, but I tried what you suggested and the problem is still the same. I still have to switch the DVD sound on manually each time. Other suggestions welcome! I'm happy to buy a new DVD player if there are any that work more seamlessly with Bose.
The only way that should happen is if you are sending HDMI audio Player--->Bose--->TV--->Bose
It sounds like an ARC problem. Possibly caused by your TV settings for audio out.
What is the TV?
I still have to switch the DVD sound on manually each time.
Where? TV? or Bose?

Last edited:
The TV is a Samsung UA55D8000YRXZN. The DVD Player is a Samsung HT-D5550K. TV went into Sleep mode after 10 minutes as usual! Trying the optical link now.

The TV is a Samsung UA55D8000YRXZN. The DVD Player is a Samsung HT-D5550K. TV went into Sleep mode after 10 minutes as usual! Trying the optical link now.
Try turning off the sleep timer.

The manual switch to Audio / HDMI on happens on the DVD player, not the TV or Bose.
Replace the 'player'.
It's an all in one audio system designed for playing though its own speakers unless you turn HDMI audio on to output audio via HDMI (rather than the default video only). As Samung says it cannot be set to default to on (or to keep last selected mode) you appear to be stuffed.

Any normal player should work as you want (default for these is to output both audio and video over HDMI).

Ten-minute switch-off problem solved, though, after connecting the optical cable. Thanks for that too.
I thought the optical connection on the HT-D5550K might be a fallback option to replacing the player but its manual shows it as optical in and all references to it are to input from an external device rather than output to one.
Although it does note
Bitstream (Re-encoded DTS)
: Choose if you have connected an AV receiver using a DigitalOptical input that can decode DTS.

so may be able to output as well. Might be worth trying an optical lead from the player to the Bose. Or that statement might just be a generic one which doesn't apply to this player.

Last edited:
I'll try that tomorrow, if I can get hold of a second optical cable. Thanks.
You just need the one to try it.
Player optical--->Bose. This will show if it can output audio via it (if you configure the player audio out setting correctly).
So player HDMI---> TV (video)
Player optical---->Bose (audio)
I doubt it'll work but is worth a try before you buy another player. You'll also probably have to set the bose to play from optical input.

Thanks again, Doug. I tried the optical cable option you suggested. Sadly, it didn't work. A new player is probably the only solution. I appreciate all the help, though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom