1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD player channels ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by renier8, Aug 8, 2005.

1. renier8

renier8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

Some advice would be greatly appreciated. I have an amp that handles all my channels and stuff. It is setup to 5.1.

Now recently I went into my DVD player menu, and saw that it too features 5.1 channels.

So my question is this: What settings do I use on what component ? Should both DVD and AMP be set to 5.1 ? etc.

Many thanks

Renier

2. wannabeav

wannabeav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Check with the manual but the digital output should just send the full 5.1 soundtrack and the amp will then decode / process. You can then provide distances, size, config, etc on the amp. The other settings on the dvd menu should relate to the analogue outputs. If you're just using a coax / optical out to the amp dont worry about them.

3. renier8

renier8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for that.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The 5.1 setting in the player is probably related to the 5.1 output (on-board decoder).
    Since you have an AV amp you don't need to bother with that, it's a kind of redundant and only required if you have an old amp that has a 5.1 (analog) input but no DD/DTS decoding.