DVD-Player + CD Quality

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by vindiesel, Oct 27, 2003.

1. vindiesel

vindiesel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

i own the pioneer dv-626d and i am about to buy the denon 2900.
    Do you think that the denon will boost the sound quality of cds?
    Does the cd quality depend on the dvd-player?

Well, my dvd-player teams up with the denon 3803!

Cheers
    Martin

2. agendrano

agendrano
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pioneer 655A DVD player (Asian version of the 656A) and a Marantz 6000 OSE CD player. I find that playback quality of CD's are better on a CD player than a DVD player. Before this setup, I had a Philips DV820 DVD player and a Sony CD player (forgot the model number), and with this old setup I found that the CD player plays CD a lot better than the DVD player.

Upgrading you DVD player might improve the sound quality of CD's, but if you really wanted a big leap in quality, get a dedicated CD player. (For mid-price, try the Marantz 6000, or you can go for the more high end CD players). Before getting my Marantz 6000, I was using a DVD player to play my CD's and somehow I was not really impressed with the quality of CD playback with DVD players, so I got the Marantz 6000 OSE which is really not that expensive but the quality is a lot better than a DVD player.

3. vindiesel

vindiesel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just wondering.
    After reading some comments of different people about the denon 2900 i recognized that they praised the improve of cd quality unlike their old dvd-players.

4. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It depends on the DVD player... :rolleyes:

I did several comparisons against the Arcam FMJ DV27, playing CDs with my system, and in the end, with a good power cord, coaxial IC, and support cones, it sounded the same as TAG´s DVD transport and TEAC modded CD player, and they are supposed to be references... :suicide:

Actually the cables made more difference than the players, of course I also compared with cheaper DVD players, including Arcam´s DV88, and they all sounded considerably worst... :eek:

5. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Unless you can afford top range equipment, IMHO the best CD playback will always be from a dedicated CD player. Its sole function is to play CDs whereas a DVD player has to be a Jack of all trades and compromises have to be made.

Separates invariably produce the best results e.g dedicated stereo amp vs multichannel receiver.

I now use a Rotel CD player exclusively for music duties; once I'd heard it in comparison to my DVD player there was no way I could settle for anything less.

6. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Agree - at the buget end of the scale, a dedicated CDP will be better. I use a Pioneer DV-350 for DVD duties and a NAD C521BEE for CD duties.