DVD Player - Budget of £400

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mustang, Jan 30, 2002.

1. mustang

mustang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to upgrade my DVD Player, I currently have the Pioneer DV-535 but after visiting my brother last week and watching a few films on his Toshiba 500E I decided I would like to get something a bit better.

It has to be multiregion (RCE), have RGB scart and also a digital coaxial output. So far I have looked at the Pioneer DV-646A and the Panasonic RA-61/71, even though both are DVD Audio it is not that important to me.

Does anyone have one of these?, I would be interested in hearing your comments.

CYA! :D

2. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    There's also the new Toshiba SD510, with component outs and progressive scan on NTSC material. It's received very favourable reviews.

Regards.

3. mustang

mustang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any idea of the price of the new Toshiba SD-510?

Cheers!

mustang.

4. Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £350 multi region at Richer Sounds, all being re-plugged with UK plugs at moment (info from sales assistant at Milton Keynes shop). Might be in though by now.

I bought a Sony NS-900 in the end and am delighted with its performance.

Pathfinder

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony NS-900V is a superb machine and with a bit of hunting you could just get one in your price range. Ive seen them at £400 multiregion.

6. Tony O'dell

Tony O'dell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds very interesting, muti region, progressive scan for ntsc......cant find much about it on the web though :(

7. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    progressive scan - really not usefull unless you have a TV or more likely a projection screen that takes these inputs - basically rare and normally on high end equipment

8. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mustang, I must ask about how impressed you were with your mates tosh 500e compared to your Pioneer 545.

I thought both these machines were visually on par with each other and yet you actually found it visually better.

Your mate doesn't by chance have a smaller tv to yours or much newer TV in technological terms !! i.e 100 hertz and yours is isn't.

9. mustang

mustang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    andypandy, I have the Pioneer DV-535 not 545, my brother is using the same TV as me, the picture just seemed much cleaner but without comparing them side by side it's hard to explain. I also thought the build quality of the Toshiba was far superior to my Pioneer, but I suppose with the price difference it was bound to be.

Just got the latest issue of What Video & TV and they gave the Pioneer DV-646A only 3½/5, the new Toshiba 510E 4½/5 and the Panasonic RA-61 4/5 :confused:

Anyway I have 2 weeks to decide which player to get as thats when I get paid next :D

CYA!

mustang.

10. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Have you conseidered the Pioneer 545. It has rave reviews and scores just about perfect marks everywhere.

Is someone on commission or is it TRUE ???

The RRP is £350 and their comments, I presume, are based on this level altough shop prices are about £80 cheaper (multi-region)

11. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a 545 and am very impressed with the performance.

I know several other members also have the same machine and haven't heard anything detrimental about it yet.

The only thing it lacks in my opinion is component output - but my TV doesn't have a component input, so it wasn't an issue for me.

Cheers
    Steve

12. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    steve, where did you buy your 545 ? is it region-free and have you played rce dvd's ?

13. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I got it from Techtronics (£269.00 about a month or so ago). It was shipped within 7 days and is fully multi-region. It will also play RCE discs but I haven't checked it yet (my old Tosh 3107 wasn't RCE so I don't own any discs yet).

I'm borrowing my friend's RCE disc of The Patriot to find out - but have no reason to think it wont work.

Cheers
    Steve

14. fargo jerry

fargo jerry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i think this player is available at Home cinema heaven for £250 and it's RCE. (price is only available to users with a DVDforums i.d. but that's easy enuff :p )