DVD Player Audio Connectivity

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Stompa, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Stompa

Stompa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My CD player has just packed up, and since I use it very little I was thinking of replacing it with a DVD player (e.g. a Pioneer DV-575A), so I can play both CD's (I know the quality won't be as good as a dedicated CD player) and DVD's.

The problem is that to do this I would need to connect the DVD player to both my TV (using component video) and my HiFi amp. And as far as I can see most (all?) DVD players only have a single audio output connector. Is there a straightforward solution to this? i.e. some sort of adaptor or switchbox?

Thanks

Stompa

2. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason for the single audio output on the back of DVD players is for digital audio only needing 1 cable (Coaxial or Optical) to get 5.1 surround.

Most DVD players will also have 2 RCAs for stereo analogue.

Have you got a Hifi and AV amp or just a hifi ? If you put the speakers on either side of the tv you only need to link the DVD player to your hifi through the RCAs then you can a CD player and stereo DVD sounds through the same hifi.

Richie.

3. F1Boy

F1Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,

Do you have spearate HiFi and AV amps...?

If you use the same for HiFi and DVDs then CDs should work anyway through the DVD input on the amp (or you could run an analogue pair of stereo interconnects from the DVD's analogue outs to the CD input on the amp).

If separate - how do you have the DVD connected to the AV amp? If it is via digital (opt/coax) then all you need to do is run a set of analogue stereo interconnects from the DVD player to your HiFi amp.

If you have the DVD connected to the AV amp via the 6 analogue connections then (for DVD-A, SACD)... then I don't know :blush: (other than suggesting you play CDs through your AV Amp with the existing connections).

Hope this helps,

Matt

4. Stompa

Stompa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the responses. I'd rather foolishly assumed that since the component video and analogue audio sockets on both the TV and the DVD were grouped together that I had to use those analogue sockets for the TV. Complete nonsense of course and it's now working fine.

Pretty impressed so far with the Pioneer DV575A.

Stompa