DVD Player as well as DVD Recorder?

fordka

Standard Member
If I buy a DVD recorder ( I was thinking of the Pioneer DVR545 ) is there any benefit to having a player as well? ( Such as, lets say, the Pioneer DV696AV).

I'm thinking mainly about laser life on the recorder, is it better to have a seperate player?

Apart from the obvious benefit of being able to play a DVD while you burn another is there anything else? or am I just trying to convince myself to buy more kit? :D

fordka

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
depending on the recorder you have, you might find you get a better playback picture (at least from pre-recorded discs) on a dedicated play only machine....but it depends what sort of budget you are talking about...

i have a JVC DVD player thats probably about 5 years old now, possibly more, honestly cant remember..lol..anyhow, it wasnt that expensive, maybe £200 model, it outperforms my Panasonic ES10 recorder quite happily with picture and sound.....the ES10 was a shade under £200 at launch iirc....

obviously my Denon 3910 whips them both heartily...lol...

anyhow, i'd say if you can afford a reasonable budget (say £200 or more) its probably worth considering......you might want to try a shop that has a demo room, ask if you can bring your recorder in and do a side by side comparison (or if they dont have two of the same screen just plug them in to different AV inputs and flick channels).....

if your budget is low, as in supermarket price models, then it might not be worth bothering about, other than for being able to play a disc while you record :)

Gavtech

Administrator
I'm thinking mainly about laser life on the recorder, is it better to have a seperate player?

Apart from the obvious benefit of being able to play a DVD while you burn another is there anything else? or am I just trying to convince myself to buy more kit? :D
Theoretically there is no greater wear on the laser because the lasers used in burners are dual laser assemblies. One for reading, one for writing.

However, if you want an excuse to buy more kit... :) ...I think there is a good argument for having two identical DVDR's [ never mind another player ] so that one can act as a complete hardware back-up unit for the other.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom