DVD Player as good as an Arcam CD23?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by warrj, Jul 23, 2003.

Tags:
  1. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm currently using both an Arcam FMJ CD23 and a Pioneer Dv-656 in my home cinema set-up. I'm toying with the idea of building a separate stereo set-up which would involve my existing Arcam CD player. My question is: Are there any DVD players with which I could replace the Arcam which would be as good as the Arcam on CD? I'm not interested in transport+processor combos as I already have an Arcam AV8 and it's DACs are nowhere near as good as those in the Arcam CDP. I might be interested in sticking a DAC on the Pioneer DVD if its combined performance was as good as the Arcam CDP. Total budget would be 1-2K.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Jules.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    One possibility(which I've tried and use with my HCPC)is to put a Perpetual Technologies P1A upsampler/interpolator between the DVD player's Cd out and your processor's DACs,or go the whole hog and use a P1A/P3A upsampler/DAC combination.....sound-wise,both are very highly regarded,and about as close to a dCS DAC/Upsampler as you'll get below £10k....the 2 together will cost about £2k.....I have both and rate the sound very highly.
    In my experience,there are relatively few DVD players that come close to a good stand-alone CD player at anything like the price....even Tag's rather expensive DVD players didnt impress on that score....for me anyway.

3. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    There are - but not for £1-2K.

I suppose you might be able to buy a second hand Meridian 596 for that - but you might not want to sacrifice progressive scan video output.

Arcam's own DV27 isn't bad for CDs, but it's not on a par with the CD23 (or so I am told).

You might be able to get a Chord DAC 64 for £2K - I gather that's quite well thought of.